RIP Pontiac

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B are you just mad about no doubt gettin spanked by "half the car" you're M3 is (G8 GT)? lol j/k... kinda. Hummer can go I never cared too much. People only took notice because they were rarer than many things on the street including their usefulness. if they were order based they might turn a profit.

Take saturn, saab, hummer, gmc, and leave chevy pontiac and bring back olds. turn them into a ford type deal. One is a step better than the other. Pontiac>Chevy>Olds like the other two have been doing since the 60's.

Bring back olds? The only good thing olds ever did was the 442.

The only reason I would miss hummer is because I like the styling. They look like tonka trucks and I like to see them here and there. I wouldn't actually own one though.

Take saturn, saab, hummer, gmc, and leave chevy pontiac and bring back olds. turn them into a ford type deal. One is a step better than the other. Pontiac>Chevy>Olds like the other two have been doing since the 60's.

Since when is Pontiac such a step-up from Chevy? It's all the same stuff, just different badges. Axing Olds and Pontiac is EXACTLY what they needed to do. Focus on a few core brands that offer a good variety of quality products, not 20 different brands that offer the same crap with different emblems...

pontaic has always been the 'muscle' version of the chevy. Unfortunately, a nostril on the hood doesn't make it a new car

pontaic has always been the 'muscle' version of the chevy. Unfortunately, a nostril on the hood doesn't make it a new car

What? since when?

GTO = overweight Camaro.
GTP models = overweight, slower Z28.

Pontiac isn't any more performance than what Chevy put out.

Would'nt it be just as cheap to make the same car with a different nose, tail, and trim but make them in smaller scale production. I dont see what the big deal is. Like you said theres not a big defference which means it doesnt cost that much more to produce them both. Either way they can kill the lesser crap I just dont want to see them kill the name altogether. Give us the G8 and economy oriented people the G6. Make the Solstice as ordered and leave the brand alone until better days. I see the first to cars all day everyday so they cant be selling too poorly theyre just over produced for what volume they are selling. I thought restructuring the company was for the end goal of keeping it alive. Fix whats broken. Keep whats working.

I'll miss hummer.

hummer died in 2006 when they dropped the only real hummer in the line up...

Hummer_H1_60.jpg

the h2 is nothing but a tahoe with a body kit, and the h3 is just a colorado in SUV skin

I know what the articles say. They say blah blah blapity blah.

As of the 90s when the WS6 = SS and Trans Am = Z28, it really means nothing. IMO Pontiac really has been dead since the gas crises of the 70s. GM could have dropped the line then and saved millions.

the ws6 was faster than the ss.

The ws6 goes 0-60 in 4.9 secs and does the 1/4 mile in 13.4 secs. The ss goes 0-60 in 5.2 secs and does the 1/4 mile in 13.6 secs

Way to paper race, B. .3 in the 0-60 and .2 in the 1/4 mile isn't that much time difference and can be explained by driver error.

Hell I've seen one guys timeslips on the same SS differ by a full second between two runs.

Like I said TA = Z28, WS6 = SS.

What? since when?

GTO = overweight Camaro..

The GTO never had anything in common with the Camaro (other than one year when it had the LS1) enough to make that statement. it was the Chevelle counterpart.

GTP models = overweight, slower Z28.

Pontiac isn't any more performance than what Chevy put out.

When was ANY GTP model ANYTHING near a Z28. Theyve had the Bonneville ("upscale" speed) Solstice [nothing comes close to similar (STFU, the Sky isnt a Chevy) The G6 (had you said Cobalt you'd be close, but again nothing like a Z28.)

They used to be two completely different brands at least engine wise. They were both selling equally well at one time but in tough times they did the business sense thing and cut cost by using universal parts. And now when people want them to cut costs even more they bring this to the table as another reason to axe them.

I see this as a double standard in the import world. Honda/Acura is where Chevy/Pontiac once was in popularity and sales. If they were to come into some hard times would you all say F Acura, its basically the same car with a different kit and badge. Or would you be bummed to see a company (with less of a storied history) axed when they could just continue a few good cars to keep a brand alive.

To Acura fiends I dont think they'll get what I'm saying because along with that less storied history, aren't half of them longing for the JDM Honda badges anyway.

Last edited:
I was trying to say that the GTP, Grand Am GT, etc were all built from the same specs, and those specs were all derived from models already in the Chevy line up. Instead of paying engineers to make up a brand new car out of existing specs they could have saved millions by dumping the Pontiac brand and spent the money on better, higher quality parts for the Chevy line up.

No they weren't "exactly the same", but anyone who bothered with cars could see the similarities.

Personally I don't see why one manufacturer needs two brands anyway. Why can't Toyota just make the Scion shit under the toyota badge? or lexus shit? Or Honda make the NSX under the honda badge? They do in Japan, so why bother with another name in the US?

Last edited:
Way to paper race, B. .3 in the 0-60 and .2 in the 1/4 mile isn't that much time difference and can be explained by driver error.

Hell I've seen one guys timeslips on the same SS differ by a full second between two runs.

Like I said TA = Z28, WS6 = SS.

The TA made more HP than the SS due to that previously mentioned nostril giving cold air a straight shot into the engine. Driver error FTL

Would'nt it be just as cheap to make the same car with a different nose, tail, and trim but make them in smaller scale production. I dont see what the big deal is. Like you said theres not a big defference which means it doesnt cost that much more to produce them both.

But why? Why do you need to have 2-3 versions of the same damn car running around with different emblems on them? That was the point I was trying to make. They can either keep wasting money on building these multi-brand platforms that they can bolt a bunch of different body parts to and sell them under different brand names, or they could just consolidate down to a few core brands and concentrate on putting out high-quality, high-value products under those brands.

Do you really not see the difference there? Japan figured it out a long time ago. What other brands does Honda have? Acura for their luxury vehicles, and that's it. How about Toyota? Lexus for luxury and Scion for compact tuner cars, that's it. They don't have 20 different brands all selling the same cars with different bumpers and emblems on them...

But why? Why do you need to have 2-3 versions of the same damn car running around with different emblems on them? That was the point I was trying to make. They can either keep wasting money on building these multi-brand platforms that they can bolt a bunch of different body parts to and sell them under different brand names, or they could just consolidate down to a few core brands and concentrate on putting out high-quality, high-value products under those brands.

Do you really not see the difference there? Japan figured it out a long time ago. What other brands does Honda have? Acura for their luxury vehicles, and that's it. How about Toyota? Lexus for luxury and Scion for compact tuner cars, that's it. They don't have 20 different brands all selling the same cars with different bumpers and emblems on them...

We kind of think along the same lines, but I go a step further... why in the fucking fuck does Honda even need acura? Acura is a US only namebrand. Why can't they pool the resources of building the RSX-S and CTR/Si into making one hell of a badass compact FWD tuner car instead of wasting money on two different brands and makes?

GM got themselves into trouble, and I laugh.

I see the difference but are just about all Acuras produced in Japan as Hondas. Wasnt an RSX in the US just a rebadged Integra from Japan?

Thank You 2000 Si

The TA made more HP than the SS due to that previously mentioned nostril giving cold air a straight shot into the engine. Driver error FTL

Not really, the SS and the WS6 had the same ram air, which in independent dyno tuning showed a 2-3 horsepower increase over a TA.

Anywho, the only difference between the LS1 in the Z28 and SS was the block in some cases, and the cam in others. An LS1 is and LS1 is an LS1, except in a rare case when an SS/WS6 got an LS6 block.

Back