RIP Pontiac

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I see the difference but are just about all Acuras produced in Japan as Hondas. Wasnt an RSX in the US just a rebadged Integra from Japan?

In Japan its a Honda RSX. so again I ask, why the fuck do we need an Acura brand here?

Consolidation... spend money more wisely, thats what I'm about.

Not really, the SS and the WS6 had the same ram air, which in independent dyno tuning showed a 2-3 horsepower increase over a TA.

Anywho, the only difference between the LS1 in the Z28 and SS was the block in some cases, and the cam in others. An LS1 is and LS1 is an LS1, except in a rare case when an SS/WS6 got an LS6 block.

They didnt have the same Ram Air the SS just got a free flowing Airlid. Pretty sure there were no block differences other than the ones normal casting processes yield. Other than as you said rare end of production LS6 uses.

its not just american cars. mitsubishi north america is feeling the same fate. i dont see many dealerships lasting another 5 years.

Mitsu has been feeling pressure even when we were in the peak of over spending.
Don't even try to blame the current times on taking Mitsu out, it might speed the process up, but that's about it.

In Japan its a Honda RSX. so again I ask, why the fuck do we need an Acura brand here?

Consolidation... spend money more wisely, thats what I'm about.

Sorry I was confusing it replacing the integra to being named the RSX. Also not gonna lie a Forza F up. But yea. The Firebird is already dead and been dealt with. The G8 and Solstice could still carry them forward. Unless you want them to spend millions more on bring random names from all over the world to the US to play the I made it first game, or rather GM paid us to release it first game.

I liked olds. it was a poor mans buick (which is a poor mans cadillac). But aside from the point, pontiac seemed to really start picking up, and now they're getting the axe. gm should stop trying to turn saturn into the next big thing when they need to turn chevy pontiac, and cadillac into the next big thing. fuck hummer. when the h2 came out, it all went down hill. they just piss me off. then the h3s came out and they made me wanna punch babies. axe everything but id say those 3 brands. they have the longest legacy, and probably most consumer loyalty than the others. anything that came out after 1960 fuck it, no one really cares that much about it.

Just clarify, the only differences in the LS1's in Camaros and TA's was a year to year thing in both. Not so that one had more power. Cams changed, intake and exhaust manifolds changed, heads changed, and injectors changed. A few rare cases got LS6 blocks in both the Camaros and TAs but they still didnt make any more power. As far as GMs advertised power and speed ratings go, theyre all shit. Independant test show that the LS1 Camaro/TAs made the exact same power that the LS1 Vettes did. GM always claimed more from the Vette. WS6 = SS, TA/Formula = Z28.

The SS and WS6 both had functional ram air, but both are block by baffles from the factory. The owner had to remove the baffles to get the benefits.

Last edited:

It's Honda Integra. If you watch Best Motoring, they always call it an Integra.
DC5_index.jpg

It's like the Honda Legend; it's still here the name is just Acura RL now....but in Japan it's still the Legend.

I agree the numbers were BS but As seen in these pics the SS had a similar air box but on the WS6 you can see the raised portion where it receives Direct air flow from behind the hood openings. Not so on the SS. The airbox is at least a foot ahead of the hood scoop (not a true Ram-Air setup.)

Attachments

• 0808gmhtp_01_z+2002_pontiac_trans_am_ws6+front_view_city_view.jpg
    0808gmhtp_01_z+2002_pontiac_trans_am_ws6+front_view_city_view.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 6,411
good find K2 thanks for re-validating my point.

It's Honda Integra. If you watch Best Motoring, they always call it an Integra.
DC5_index.jpg

It's like the Honda Legend; it's still here the name is just Acura RL now....but in Japan it's still the Legend.

You knew what I meant. :thumbsup:

I agree the numbers were BS but As seen in these pics the SS had a similar air box but on the WS6 you can see the raised portion where it receives Direct air flow from behind the hood openings. Not so on the SS. The airbox is at least a foot ahead of the hood scoop (not a true Ram-Air setup.)

Have you ever looked under the hood of an SS in person? The hood has runners in it that route air from the scoop into a box at the front of the hood that then feeds the air into the airbox and filter.

The WS6 hood is the same way. Those nostrils are directly above the airbox lid. They feed into a box built into the hood, then into the airbox and filter.

Last edited:
Have you ever looked under the hood of an SS in person? The hood has runners in it that route air from the scoop into a box at the front of the hood that then feeds the air into the airbox and filter.

The WS6 hood is the same way. Those nostrils are directly above the airbox lid. They feed into a box built into the hood, then into the airbox and filter.

that's pretty much exactly what I said. SS uses ducting (that has to flow against the direction being traveled.) TA uses the only true direct Ram-Air.

We kind of think along the same lines, but I go a step further... why in the fucking fuck does Honda even need acura? Acura is a US only namebrand. Why can't they pool the resources of building the RSX-S and CTR/Si into making one hell of a badass compact FWD tuner car instead of wasting money on two different brands and makes?

GM got themselves into trouble, and I laugh.

I don't see that as quite the same though. A lot of the models that sell as Acuras here aren't just rebadged. They share some chassis components with other models, but they're not just rebadged Hondas in the vein of GM's or Ford's stuff (think Cavalier/Sunfire, Taurus/Sable, etc.).

Acura is actually touted as a luxury brand, and they sell vehicles that ARE actually luxurious and more powerful then the Honda models, not just an alternative versions of the same vehicles that look slightly different...

I liked olds. it was a poor mans buick (which is a poor mans cadillac). But aside from the point, pontiac seemed to really start picking up, and now they're getting the axe. gm should stop trying to turn saturn into the next big thing when they need to turn chevy pontiac, and cadillac into the next big thing. fuck hummer. when the h2 came out, it all went down hill. they just piss me off. then the h3s came out and they made me wanna punch babies. axe everything but id say those 3 brands. they have the longest legacy, and probably most consumer loyalty than the others. anything that came out after 1960 fuck it, no one really cares that much about it.

Once again though, why is that necessary? Why do you need to have Chevy as your base, and then Olds as a slightly more classy alternative, and then Buick as a slightly MORE classy alternative to the slightly more classy alternative, and then an actual luxury brand? Fuck that. Chevy is your base model and Cadillac is your luxury model. Done.

They need to keep Buick because it sells big overseas, and because they appeal to a certain demographic here in the US (old people). But Pontiac? Not necessary. Oldsmobile? Not necessary. They're better off without them.

Really though, tell me why you think Pontiac needs to stick around. Tell me what important market niche they will fill that can't easily be filled by Chevy...

My entire point is why do they need it though? You can't associate the higher end Honda models to luxury?

The Japanese can, but Americans seem to have a harder time with it. I would imagine that Acura exists BECAUSE of the situation we have with the domestic manufacturers (lots of different brand names). I'm sure Honda did their market research when they decided to debut some of these alternative models as Acura back in the late 80s. They probably determined that they could make a better run of it here in the US selling the nicer vehicles as a separate brand.

And honestly, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Ford needs to keep Lincoln, and GM needs to keep Cadillac. Having a luxury line isn't necessarilly a bad thing. I just don't see the point of having 3-4 different namesakes selling the same entry and mid-level cars with different emblems on them. That just seems like a waste...

I will never buy a new domestic vehicle. I'm willing to wait for honda to actually build a truck with a full sized box. I won't buy a chev/gmc, dodge, ford truck. Even though pontiac and all the other "low end" consumer cars are inexpensive, ill still buy a honda. Take a look at my 9 year old honda civic, all it needed was gas, oil and washing :) The thread is titled "The gutless wonder".

I will never buy a new domestic vehicle. I'm willing to wait for honda to actually build a truck with a full sized box. I won't buy a chev/gmc, dodge, ford truck. Even though pontiac and all the other "low end" consumer cars are inexpensive, ill still buy a honda. Take a look at my 9 year old honda civic, all it needed was gas, oil and washing :) The thread is titled "The gutless wonder".

If you read Consumer Reports, they say that the quality on most domestic cars is up there with the imports now. Would I consider buying one though? Probably not any time soon. It'll be interesting to see how those cars will be holding up 5-10 years from now. If they age well and they continue to put out good quality products, then I think you'll see a shift back towards buying more domestics.

For right now though, some good reviews in a magazine aren't going to simply make people forget that the Big Three spent the last twenty years thinking they were invincible and shitting out crappy cars...

If you read Consumer Reports, they say that the quality on most domestic cars is up there with the imports now. Would I consider buying one though? Probably not any time soon. It'll be interesting to see how those cars will be holding up 5-10 years from now. If they age well and they continue to put out good quality products, then I think you'll see a shift back towards buying more domestics.

For right now though, some good reviews in a magazine aren't going to simply make people forget that the Big Three spent the last twenty years thinking they were invincible and shitting out crappy cars...

Initial quality and long term reliability aren't the same though.

Initial quality and long term reliability aren't the same though.

I know that. That's why I said this:

It'll be interesting to see how those cars will be holding up 5-10 years from now.

If those cars are still holding up nicely ten years from now, then the quality argument will hold water. For now though, I'll stick with imports...

Last edited:
Once again though, why is that necessary? Why do you need to have Chevy as your base, and then Olds as a slightly more classy alternative, and then Buick as a slightly MORE classy alternative to the slightly more classy alternative, and then an actual luxury brand? Fuck that. Chevy is your base model and Cadillac is your luxury model. Done.

They need to keep Buick because it sells big overseas, and because they appeal to a certain demographic here in the US (old people). But Pontiac? Not necessary. Oldsmobile? Not necessary. They're better off without them.

Really though, tell me why you think Pontiac needs to stick around. Tell me what important market niche they will fill that can't easily be filled by Chevy...
You've got a point, but it's just a shame to let the same brand that produced the GTO, the Bonneville, and the Grand Prix die. It reminds me of chrysler. Plymouth sucked, so it got axed. In 10 years, they're gonna be like, Oh, Shit... The GTO was a pontiac... Fuck it, let's make the new Chevelle a family sedan and the chevy GTO a 2 door version of the same car. It leaves room for improvement, which isn't important right now, but what about when and if they're back on their feet? They'll want to make a Goat or a LeMans, it's a bigger name, and better car than an SC twin cam.

Back