RIP Pontiac

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I know that. That's why I said this:

If those cars are still holding up nicely ten years from now, then the quality argument will hold water. For now though, I'll stick with imports...

I don't buy into the initial quality BS though, I hate that arguement. I don't care how good it is when I buy it, if I take it home and the engine blows 3 months down the line its garbage.

The Japanese can, but Americans seem to have a harder time with it. I would imagine that Acura exists BECAUSE of the situation we have with the domestic manufacturers (lots of different brand names). I'm sure Honda did their market research when they decided to debut some of these alternative models as Acura back in the late 80s. They probably determined that they could make a better run of it here in the US selling the nicer vehicles as a separate brand.

Your exactly right. Rich people buy nice cars to get a brand stigma. Why would you pay 50k for a car if it had a Honda badge when you could get one with a BMW badge. Over the next couple years Honda of America is going to try and further seperate the Acura line from Honda by giving it its own platforms and models. The ZDX due out late this year is the first to come. I've had this conversation with people at work on a number of ocasions.

I don't buy into the initial quality BS though, I hate that arguement. I don't care how good it is when I buy it, if I take it home and the engine blows 3 months down the line its garbage.

Yeah, I hate that argument too. I wasn't trying to argue for domestic quality, but rather point out what you're saying. If the current Ford Fusions and Chevy Malibus are still kicking with minimal issues ten years from now, THEN they can LEGITIMATELY start to argue that quality's the same and can't be used as an excuse anymore.

Until then, a lot of the people who have been satisfied Honda and Toyota customers for years will probably continue to buy import...

You've got a point, but it's just a shame to let the same brand that produced the GTO, the Bonneville, and the Grand Prix die.

Yeah, I agree that it's a shame. Pontiac has produced some pretty iconic vehicles over the years. At this point though, if they're just using it as an outlet to sell re-badged versions of stuff that other GM divisions are already selling, then yeah, cut 'em loose...

Yeah, I agree that it's a shame. Pontiac has produced some pretty iconic vehicles over the years. At this point though, if they're just using it as an outlet to sell re-badged versions of stuff that other GM divisions are already selling, then yeah, cut 'em loose...

Thats why I'm saying keep the G8 and the Solstice. G6 only because its selling (mostly to rental companies.) Keeps the name alive. Keeps cars that arent in the Chevy line. Solstice only if Saturn is cut for sure because the Sky looks a million times better.

I love the "In 10 years arguement." Ive got a GM that is 11 years old with no major overhauls. Its got nothin but regular maintenance, and it shouldnt be a surprise that I beat on it pretty regularly. Theres nothin wrong with it, and no problems that I need to keep an eye on.

Also, I had a Jimmy that was 15 years old that didnt have much wrong with it. It was lucky to see an oil change every ten thousand miles, and I would know being as the previous owner was a good friend who drove it from the other side of the country. When I got it, I tried to take good care of it, and all that needed any major work was the tranny. But, with 200,000 miles on it, there arent many auto trannies that hold up without a single problem.

Granted thats only 2 vehicles out of millions, but I know Im not the one to have a GM that runs pretty damn good with just the basic maintenance that any Honda gets.

No not the only one. We had a Grand Prix since I was about 8 and until I decided to smack it into a light pole when I was 18 all it ever needed was routine maintenance while still running strong. It probably had well over 150k. Got an 01 Tahoe with over 140k no problems yet. Bear in mind my mom cannot drive a car correctly for shit and she'd regularly driven both. The only things I've noticed are Grand Am window regulators arent worth crap as both my Brothers 03 GT and my sisters 97 GT have both needed them replaced.

Also my brothers 96 TA LT1/6 Speed that was driven hard (I mean regularly needing to evade certain well lit cars hard) was just fine as long as he kept up on the routine maintenance. Ive always said of course a car thats making barely enough power to get out of its own way is going to be under less stress and end result being less mechanical problems.

Last edited:
its my brothers turn signal switch in his 04. you have to push the hazard light button down slightly to get the signal to stay on because its routed through the 4 way light switch. kinda a polish way to do things if you ask me.

and I've got to tear apart the engine bay in my Si to change a timing belt. pretty Afghani as well. Any one thing I need to do is impeded by the 10 things I have to do to get to it first. but then again all engineers are assholes like that no matter what the brand.

Thank You as that brings it full circle to my original point. RIP Pontiac, F the bastards at the top that brought it to this point.

How do you get an American to spend $10,000 more dollars on a Honda, Easy call it an Acura

how do you make said american spend another ten grand? give them the means to make their Acura look like the JDM Honda version.

I love the "In 10 years arguement." Ive got a GM that is 11 years old with no major overhauls. Its got nothin but regular maintenance, and it shouldnt be a surprise that I beat on it pretty regularly. Theres nothin wrong with it, and no problems that I need to keep an eye on.

Also, I had a Jimmy that was 15 years old that didnt have much wrong with it. It was lucky to see an oil change every ten thousand miles, and I would know being as the previous owner was a good friend who drove it from the other side of the country. When I got it, I tried to take good care of it, and all that needed any major work was the tranny. But, with 200,000 miles on it, there arent many auto trannies that hold up without a single problem.

Granted thats only 2 vehicles out of millions, but I know Im not the one to have a GM that runs pretty damn good with just the basic maintenance that any Honda gets.

No not the only one. We had a Grand Prix since I was about 8 and until I decided to smack it into a light pole when I was 18 all it ever needed was routine maintenance while still running strong. It probably had well over 150k. Got an 01 Tahoe with over 140k no problems yet. Bear in mind my mom cannot drive a car correctly for shit and she'd regularly driven both. The only things I've noticed are Grand Am window regulators arent worth crap as both my Brothers 03 GT and my sisters 97 GT have both needed them replaced.

Also my brothers 96 TA LT1/6 Speed that was driven hard (I mean regularly needing to evade certain well lit cars hard) was just fine as long as he kept up on the routine maintenance. Ive always said of course a car thats making barely enough power to get out of its own way is going to be under less stress and end result being less mechanical problems.

Oh, no doubt that the Big Three have produced some decent quality vehicles over the years. My dad bought a Ford Ranger new in 1995 and it's got about 160k on it now and it's still going strong. No major repairs or overhauls, he just kept up on the maintenance. Some of their other products though have been undeniably shitty. We had a Taurus sedan growing up, and that thing was always breaking down for one reason or another. We also got a fairly low-mileage S10 from my Granddad when he passed away, and the auto transmission broke with less then 30k miles on it. Always maintained perfectly too. Apparently it's a common problem. I know that some of Chrysler's auto trannies from the late 80s / early 90s are notorious for failing too.

I'm not saying that all American cars are crap, I'm just saying that the import companies have more consistently put out longer-lasting vehicles then the domestic companies have...

I think it's silly when a company dicontinues a model and "redesigns" it a few years later. I say stop dwelling on the past and build new radical models. When I look at a group of say sub compact cars, they all look the same. Round sloping hood, pulled back headlights, 2/4 doors, round hatch or trunk with a sharp edge leading down to the bumper. Everything out there is starting to look similar to the silhouette of a turtle. I bought a new 2008 civic because of the low financing costs and it's a Honda. It's ugly, and looks like the rest of them out there. IMO

Yea I'm kinda gettin tired of cookie cutter cars as well. Not to say that i like it at all in any way but Scion did something really different in the xB and look what happened; Nissan and Kia scrambled to spew out similar rolling boxes so they too could get a piece of that market.

Yeah, I'd like to have an XB but not worth my time to import one to Canada. My wife wants one of the new Kia Souls.

Yeah, I'd like to have an XB but not worth my time to import one to Canada. My wife wants one of the new Kia Souls.

having checked out both of them, the Kia is the better choice
better interior, feels more solid, cluster is in the correct spot, doesnt look as cheap

heres a few comparisons
http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/4306145.html
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...ul_nissan_cube_scion_xb_comparison/index.html

Last edited:
Back