Rita y0!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 22 2005, 10:26 AM
yeah, make sure you fill up today. people are saying $5 a gallon if it takes out the 18+ refineries in texas city....
[post=558378]Quoted post[/post]​

I do care about people, especially texans. I have a feeling the Texans, regardless of how bad it gets, won't be looting or killing each other for Nikes. But I can imagine a horde of people stampeding a ranch and killing steers with their knives for food.

I love Texas, an openly armed populace (Well, I'm sure the city is different) but either way, they get a thumbsup from me.

As far as gas, I still say that at $6 there will be a revolution in the US. This market was ALREADY driven back to $65 a barrel by fear. Right now, about $25 of the price per barrel is built-in fear. Then, when the storm actually HITS, it's going to go up more - Because they think it has to.

I blame this, not on the Haitians for once. I blame this on private americans e-trading oil futures. When oil futures were in the hands of professionals, the market was stable. Now we have absolute idiots running the show. Then, of course, in the background we have people that do not give a shit about the well-being of the country, only about lining their pockets with billions.

We need a way to get this out of our hair, once and for all. We need to be able to stand up and say "How about, this time, just for old times sake, we elect someone that actually cares about making America wonderful ?"

Watch for Part 2: When I actually don't threadjack. Bring the subjectback to Hurricanes.

Originally posted by Celerity@Sep 22 2005, 10:23 AM
Texans are whole lot sturdier of a people than the predominantly haitian / gay populace in New Orleans.
[post=558377]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

We'll have an entire army of rednecks with shotguns and rifles shooting at it...

You know, if we were to pile up all the junk cars in texas along the shores, it would stop the hurricane dead in its tracks. I don't care if it was a cat 093284.2 It would be no match for the god-like collection of junk cars we have here.

**edit**

I saw, the other day, a 69? impala.. straight body, no rust, being crushed and recycled. I wanted to cry.

Part 2:

This hurricane should be a wake up call about rebuilding New Orleans, and all of the gulf coast. These storms are going to get worse. Nature is more powerful than we can even imagine, and if the Solar System can be tilted off axis 0.000000001% and we end up with 30 killer storms every year, or better - one massive storm that wipes out the populace - do you think that simply rebuilding a building in the same spot, with the same methods will do anything ?

I look forward to a time when people living in these areas are all set up in Dome homes. A time when people say "Oh shit, a category 14 storm is on the way. We'll have to cancel movie night" and they simply go home, close the steel shutters, tie the car to the stakes in the ground, and hang out inside playing cards with the family.

We should be lining the coast with weather-proof homes. Garages. Indoor storage. So that when the superstorms of 2007 come, people are mildly inconvenienced by picking up tree branches the next day. Building our homes out of sticks is no longer acceptable. The Wolf has huffed and puffed, and still we come back with the SAME little piggy house.

I have low confidence that my dream will be realised. Tornado alley homes should already be tornado-proof. So proofed that when a tornado touches down, they can watch out the window with excitement for something that breaks up the daily monotony. Instead, EACH AND EVERYTIME it hits, there are pickup trucks and mobile homes just flying around in the air.

We should be smarter than this. And I think that Tornado Alley isn't that developed because the damage is actually slight in National standards. Maybe this Hurricane trend will cause enough damage that permanent changes have to be made. We can't continue to flush billions down the toilet everytime it rains. I mean, if we have 2 this year, and say, 3 in 2007, that will be almost a trillion spent in just stupid shit - When we could have taken the chance to improve the situation and adapt.

Florida does this pretty well. I say "well" but they aren't perfect. People need to bring their kid's plastic pedal cars indoors so they don't became 230mph projectiles that knock down buildings across town. Some major code buildings have powered shutters, solidly walled parking garages, and other measures in place. It's time everyone living down there did that.

What's the extra cost, 10%? Everytime a storm like this hits, it's 100% damage. Get with the program, people.

Well at this point, if it hits NO again it will cause about $750,000 in improvements.

Originally posted by Celerity@Sep 22 2005, 10:32 AM
Well at this point, if it hits NO again it will cause about $750,000 in improvements.
[post=558465]Quoted post[/post]​

That's my point. I hope it drills NO like a port town hooker. No need to ruin texas when you can just go and finish off what Katrina started.

On the other hand, Galveston (I never realised this before) is built on nothing but a sandbar.

Who engineered this ?!

Originally posted by Celerity@Sep 22 2005, 10:36 AM
On the other hand, Galveston (I never realised this before) is built on nothing but a sandbar.

Who engineered this ?!
[post=558471]Quoted post[/post]​

I bet they were of french descent. :p

Originally posted by swanny@Sep 22 2005, 01:27 PM
It's tracking East now, towards the oil fields and NO.
[post=558460]Quoted post[/post]​

wtf? east?

do you know your directions? florida is east....

if anything its going north west.

145647W_sm.gif

Bwahahaha!! Get those N'awlins fuckers!

According to that pic, I won't even get any rain from it now.

Because they recently proved once and for all, to be the dumbest group of people ever. Darwin claimed over 1000.

Originally posted by Celerity@Sep 22 2005, 11:36 AM

Who engineered this ?!
[post=558471]Quoted post[/post]​

actually, it's built on a seawall. the seawall ranges from 10 to 15 ft above sea level, and can withstand storm surges quite well. however, when it was just past florida, they were predicting 20-something foot storm surges, which would go OVER the wall; the wall would be fine, but the businesses 50 ft from it wouldn't fare so well, even though they are all boarded up.

Ahhh gotcha.. Well, if the shorefront is fully developed, thenI wouldn't imagine water to do too much damage to it.

its dying...

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 145 MPH...230 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. RITA IS A EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE ON THE
SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. SOME FLUCTUATIONS IN INTENSITY ARE LIKELY
DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 60 MILES... 95 KM...
FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP
TO 205 MILES...335 KM. ANYTROPICAL STROM FORCE WINDS IN THE NEW
ORLEANS AREA ARE EXPECTED TO BE CONFINED TO A FEW SQUALLS
ASSOCIATED WITH QUICKLY MOVING RAINBANDS. AT 3 PM CDT...A NOAA BUOY
REPORTED A 10-MINUTE AVERAGE WIND OF 89 MPH...143 KM/HR WITH A GUST
TO 112 MPH...180 KM/HR.

LATEST MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE REPORTED BY AN AIR FORCE PLANE WAS
913 MB...26.96 INCHES

it could be a light breeze when it gets there, and gas prices will still double.

We need to weed these idiots out of the energy futures markets.

They're now saying it's gonna make landfall at about the TX/LA border, but given it's trajectory and behavior, I think it will slam right into the middle of LA.

Back