1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roadtrip of My Own

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by |Chaz|, May 27, 2009.

1. |Chaz|

|Chaz| Well-Known Member VIP

Time is winding down till Cassie and I make our trip to Wyoming. We're heading out on the 15th of June.

We'll be driving the Civic the entire way. We're making a two-night stop in Idaho to go to Roaring Springs Water Park. Then it's back on the road for the rest of the trip.

The Civic's at 172k now and will probably hit 173k before we leave. I'm hoping I don't have any problems with it on the way out. There will probably be close to 300lbs of cargo in it including Cassie and I, maybe less.

2. INJEN78

INJEN78 HS LEGEND

do your timing belt,waterpump,and a full tune-up..and you should be fine..
    goodluck

3. |Chaz|

Full tune-up as in engine oil, oil filter, air filter, radiator fluid. I just changed the plugs about 500 miles ago. The plug wires got changed probably 10k ago. When you say full tune-up what all does that entail. Kinda a dumb question but I want to make sure I don't forget anything.

4. |Chaz|

Oh and timing belt and waterpump were changed at 121k... how often are they supposed to be done on Civics? I haven't read anything about them. I've heard 60k and I've heard 90k, which is it?

5. Kanned

Kanned Beast

You're fine in the water pump department. They generally see 100k easy in my experience, I wouldn't change it but ever 90kish. Dodge/Chrysler on the other hand....

6. |Chaz|

Thanks. I would have spent more time searching, but I'm at work. Now was an inopportune moment to think about what I need to do to the Civic before heading out, but at least now I won't forget to research once I get home.

7. jamesA

jamesA Well known pissed off telephone guy VIP

Just make sure you have your spare, a jack, flashlight, batteries, water, and some foodstuffs for the trip.

As long as you know the oil is changed, just keep it gassed up and take it easy.

8. Kanned

Kanned Beast

Well, it all depends how OCD you are about it. Some 1" and .5" hose + clamps, a few fuses, tire plug kit, a gallon of oil, gallon of water, freon charge, mini compressor, full tool kit(I bring a 200 piece craftsman set), brake fluid, uhhhh. That's everything I can think of that I had on my last road trip to TN. I also replaced my spare with a full size tire. I know I had more crap that I can't remember, I'm pretty careful about that stuff. Of course a jack. Make sure your better tires are on the front. Def check your belts. If you plan on changing them out soon enough, just go buy all of them and take em with you. Come home, throw em in your room and change them out in a few months when you feel like it. New air filter?

Sry for cluster post, it's how it all came out of my head and didn't feel like editing =P

9. |Chaz|

Lol no problem. Thanks for the info. I've got a 250 something piece toolset I'm lugging along and enough oil for 4 changes xD. Donut spare :(, but it's better than nothing, jack that comes with the car. I hadn't thought of brake fluid but I'll pickup some to bring with, maybe some premixed radiator fluid as well, and probably most of the odds and ends you mentioned.

10. Kanned

Kanned Beast

lol, that's a lot of oil. I just keep a gallon of water with me for radiator fluid just to get me to a place to stop if anything were to happen. Plus, I wash my hands with it if they get dirty. I just remembered I sprung a leak out of the drain plug on my old truck and started carrying teflon ever since. Saved me when my dizzy o-ring decided to "disappear" on my bro's old honda. All the stuff is fairly inexpensive and none of it will ever go to waste(at least by me). All easy to find items that will serve their purpose eventually imo. My dad makes fun of me for it, but better safe than sorry when it comes to things like that. Oh and obviously some rags. I've got a nice pair of gloves because in case I'm too impatient to let it cool off lol.

And have fun on your trip! Idk if it's in another thread, but why are you takin a road trip?

11. |Chaz|

Cassie (my gf) and I are going to Wyoming to live with her Grandma for the summer. Should be a fun adventure.

12. Drake

Drake Well-Known Member VIP

Well if you get marooned in the Spokane, Central Idaho area hit me up I can mob up there and save the day. You guys drive safe though.

13. 92stoccord

92stoccord Big Member VIP

don't buy pre mixed, diy. if you don't have a container do a radiator flush and save the bottle.

14. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

duct tape. lots of duct tape.

i'd do yout T-belt. 60k is a good time. you're beyond that, and certainly will be on your way back....

15. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

few qts of oil
    basic tool kit
    some water
    tire pressure gauge
    air pump
    spare tire
    lug wrench
    jack
    road trip snacky foods
    beverages
    toilet paper
    CDs or MP3 player
    cell phone
    car charger for cell phone

that should be more than enough

check / change fluids before leaving (oil, coolant, etc)
    check tire pressures before leaving and when fueling (running them a bit hard will yield better mpg)
    check your brakes (pads rotors fluid etc)

theres no sense carrying an entire spare car with you for a 1000 mile road trip

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  16. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

oh snap!

17. E_SolSi

18. |Chaz|

Yea, definitely. Thanks man.

19. Matts96HB

Matts96HB . Moderator VIP

Same here, I'm in Spokane as well.. and I have tons of spare parts :ph34r:

20. E_SolSi

jeesus christ people.... its just a small road trip
    its not that damn far

you act like hes taking his civic on the Paris-Dakar rally or something
    i trust all of the roads he will be traveling on are somewhat established routes and are more than likely paved
    if his car can drive around locally for a month without shitting itself, then it will be fine for a 1 or 2 day trip down the highway
    the Top Gear guys drove a truck to the fucking arctic circle with less preparation and equipment than you guys are recommending he brings with him for a trip 2 states away

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted