roadtrippin.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dangerous curves ahead...

ok here is some roadtrippin' eye candy from 5,000 to 7,000 ft. elevation, southern NM.

i've been waiting a long time to get vids of this road for HS; i saw someone had a 'best roads to ride' thread several months back but i lost it somewhere. anyway, that's when i figured i should shoot and share my favorite road so far -- the road to my grandparents' place. or in this case, the road from my grandparents' place (i enjoyed the trip up, and shot the trip back).

there are 60+ miles of this curvy road, i only had enough card memory for a few minutes of it. i'll catch more of it on my next visit (in a couple of weeks).

enjoy...someday i might put some audio to it...for now, play your own while you watch. ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6b9oo9tEQg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XHnpZHwx8o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is-KpQdogQ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCX9rKLLNec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ8BcLgozFI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FECAUNBpPQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RDQnloey_M

ps: shot from the dash of a rented chevy aveo (sad sigh). i'll shoot from my CRX when it isn't packed full of shit from my MN exodus. :D

also: no tape known to me will stick to the dash of a chevy aveo; had to duck tape the camera to the windshield. :shrug2:

and sigh...i just watched them all and realize now how dark the vids came out. i'll have to get the next set earlier in the day before the shadows start setting in. this was at 3pm.

Last edited:
what happened to the jeep? why are you in a rental?

yep- i should clarify, thanks for askin. ;)

nothing wrong with jeep or rex, just got a $40 rental for the day to bomb up that road to spend time with the g'rents and bomb back down; i could likely have damaged the jeep or rex doing that trip with my current long distance roadtripping setup.

the vids i posted don't really do the trip justice...basically climb 4,000 feet in 16 miles, then wind yourself to death, then climb 3,000 more feet, then wind some more. also, throw in at least 10 cattle guards. oh and a tunnel, which i didn't get footage of on this trip.

i'm heading back for a longer stay with my grandparents in two weeks; that'll be a jeep trip. i'll hit it with the rex after the thaw in the spring (yes, due to the elevation, those roads see a lot of ice and snow).

Last edited:
ok, i thought you went to live with the grandparents.... where the hell did you go? lol

yeeeeah. well, that was the plan; drop the pet kids off with their grandma (my mom), and go spend the next month at least with my g'rents, help out cutting and hauling firewood, enjoy their company, etc.

i will summarize and say that i modified my plan to allow me to skip leaving my pets at my 'rents completely, and still spend several days every couple weeks at the very least, with my grandparents, sans pets.

tonight, i'm in tucson, az. this will likely be my 'home base' for a bit, as there's a good tech market here and i need to fund this fiasco. :D

Last edited:
Tucson, I remeber that place. That's where my exwife kidnaped my son to. She went to live with her sister there. The sheriffs dept is very helpful out there, and I can give you the name of a good attorney if you need one.

i found some pics i forgot to post :D

so yeah - saw this car in Alamogordo, NM. one of the plates on the back says "Don't laugh, it's paid for."

but i couldn't help it, i lol'd anyway and took pics. look close - the other plate (on the left) says "My Love Yacht"

:lmao:

Attachments

• roadtrip08-alamogordo-car1.jpg
    roadtrip08-alamogordo-car1.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 122
  • roadtrip08-alamogordo-car2.jpg
    roadtrip08-alamogordo-car2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 106
i looked at like 3 of the vids hoping that i cld see a glimpse of the rex, no luck... lol

yeah didn't take the rex on those roads that time - it was packed full of crap from my exodus from minnesota, and all nice and locked up on the tow dolly i rented from uhaul. i rented a little gutless wonder and made the vids.

i'll be doing the roads again in a day or two, this time with my jeep (word is there's snow and ice, woot). i'll bump with those vids when i get back from the trip.

the rex won't see those roads until the spring thaw, most likely. but i am looking forward to that trip! ^_^

so all is well? it's been a week or two since i checked on this thread. hell, maybe even a month

so all is well? it's been a week or two since i checked on this thread. hell, maybe even a month

hehe yeah - thanks for askin! ;)

it's kind of an extended roadtrip, with repeat visits to the g'rents place (up the curvy road and back), and side trips over to tucson where i'm still trying to land a pimp IT job to fund this lifestyle for a few months. i've been in tucson for not quite the last two weeks, but i headed back to NM today.

looking forward to boogying over to cali at some point too to visit some friends, and there's a lot of Arizona i haven't seen. i'll be in NM several days each month, and probably goofing off in texas at some point, too. if i'm frugal about it, i can go for 3+ months without a job. but i do have a couple of 3 month contract possibilities that start in January that i'm looking into.

every day i hear about the snow and temps in MN i just feel like i dodged a major depressive funk. this was a good time to do this in a lot of ways, and i'm pretty convinced it is a self-growth moment in my life...getting reacquainted with my inner nomad and just doing whatever feels right on any given day. there'll be time enough for settling in somewhere and getting serious about a house and savings and such later this next year.

hip hip hoohellyeah for being irresponsible and putting miles in on the road! :D

hell yeah that sounds fuckin awesome.. makes me sad a bit, but good for you!

shit i wish i could just do whatever i want and actually make use of being young. but sadly i cant. im kinda stuck in the "my parents fucking suck" segment where i have to make my life better on my own, which yes its a good thing and a growth in a way, but its so much more easier if i had parents that would help me out alot more. but they cant exactly help much either so, fuckin A i got to just suck it up and do it.

im living like a poor person now, but i predict that by this time next year i will be much better off. the navy is going to help with most of that lol. fuck paying for college if i dont have to man.

oh yeah and good job with the timing for a road trip to the south.. .. i hear its like almost always <40's up north... that must suck ass!

cut that 40 in half and you have a warm temperature for Minnesota this time of year. Here in the Detroit area it's 15 right now, with about 40mph winds

update

so, a) gas is cheaper than it was two weeks ago (yay for $1.44 a gallon) and b) the jeep had a pretty good day today, other than needing a wash pretty badly. if you watch these, try to catch the times when you can see the road whipping curves ahead in the distance, and the yellow caution signs, i dig those. also note the frozen waterfall just after the tunnel, and the fact that there really is snow in NM. and last - that blue sky. i loooove that. note - the ipod was on random, so mute if you don't like it.
:D

YouTube - dec08 026

YouTube - dec08 027

YouTube - dec08 028

YouTube - dec08 029

YouTube - dec08 030

YouTube - dec08 031

YouTube - dec08 032

ps:
the only shitty part of today was nearly blasting through a mini herd of deer on the way back from the g'rents right at sunset. squealed the rubber and skidded a little because they (4-5 of them) had the whole damn road covered, but they scattered so all turned out well in the end. whew. no roadtrip is complete without the possibility of shitting one's pants while careening into a herd of bambi.
^_^

next vid batch will be of driving the entrance road into white sands (also very curvy and fun!)

ttfn.

wow. i would love to have similar to yours. I wanna just pack up and leave. Just go to the other side of the state and visit ANYWHERE on the way.

too broke :(

snow and ice in new mexico :confused:

thats just not right

definitely looks like a fun road though

Back