Rod Bearing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Easy, Let's not let this get out of control

Why would you want to machine off a high tech coating that pretty much only Honda can apply when a full set of OEM bearings is $200?

If you spun a rod bearing and had to get your crank reground?

EDIT: ONLY $200?

What part of "don't regrind a Honda crank" is confusing you?

I get what you are saying. My question is how much difference in durability are you going to get by regrinding a Honda crank and installing bearings to the factory clearances, versus getting all new Honda bearings and installing them and keeping the crank coating?

Blanco said:
certainly .0010" makes a HUGE difference.

Where are you getting .0010" from...

And if you install ACL bearings, aren't you going to be less than .0003" off of your clearance?

Well you need to know if the crank is damaged. They make std, and .010, .020, and so on undersized. I think you can get up to .040, but you would have to check. STD is obviously for ungrounded cranks, but if you need to have your turned, you will need at least .010.
this is where

I'm convinced that you don't know

You grind down the surface of the crank .010" therefore you have to install bearings that are .010" smaller than stock. Seems logical.

If your bearing clearance is 0013"-.0019", then std is going to be .0016". So if you use std bearings everywhere, The most that you could be off on your clearance is .0003"

EDIT: You wouldn't install the .010" bearings on the stock crank journals... THAT would never work

Last edited:
I'm convinced that you don't know

You grind down the surface of the crank .010" therefore you have to install bearings that are .010" smaller than stock. Seems logical.

If your bearing clearance is 0013"-.0019", then std is going to be .0016". So if you use std bearings everywhere, The most that you could be off on your clearance is .0003"

EDIT: You wouldn't install the .010" bearings on the stock crank journals... THAT would never work

You're missing the fact that there's a special anti-friction coating on the crank, that would be ground off. It's stupid to grind off the ........

Nevermind.

You're missing the fact that there's a special anti-friction coating on the crank, that would be ground off. It's stupid to grind off the ........

Nevermind.

I'm not missing it, I just really don't see why you HAVE to have it there, tons of cars don't have it, and plenty of them are putting down way bigger numbers.

But yes, I'm sure that it has some benefit, but then again.. if your bearing has already spun...

No body seems to know exactly why the coating is SO important.

What exactly is the coating anyways?

seems he found 148540 hits. Guess he's on a diffrent internet.........you know being in germany and all.

thank you all for your help,o if my crank is in good shape and not tore up and is in spec i wont have to get it machined right, and if i dont then i just get some oem bearing and i can use my spare good rod right.

Ight dude thanks for all your help ill use your advise and get my rod reconditioned and ill get new oem bearings and have the crank checked out ill keep you all posted and let you know how it goes and shit.

by the way what up with you and caboose lol

Last edited:
Hey Blanco!! Why don't you and your know it all self stop spreading bad information around the HS forum!!

SportCompactCar said:
The rod journals are ground to B-series diameters to allow the use of easy-to-find B-series rod bearings. OEM rod bearings from the B18C1 are employed along with standard F22A1 bearings on the mains. The B18C1 rod bearings were selected because of their special friction-reducing coating applied by Honda.

So it looks like honda cranks are just like chevys... who would have thought! No worry in getting one turned then... or micro polished like you told that other guy!

Hey next time you are going to talk shit and hand out bad rep, make sure you are right! ... oh and it looks like you could learn a little about Hondas yourself!!

WTF difference does it make if they blow up or not... point is that honda coats their bearings, not their cranks....

And again, why would the bearing coating differ depending on if its a street car or a strip car.

So everyone can go ahead and grind their cranks to your little hearts content! Guess Hondas aren't so different than Chevys after all.... besides this \/ \/ \/
449561179_43e8767f7f.jpg

ajhdragon said:
go with genuine honda bearings, they have that ceramic coating that nobody else has

--From--
HELP!! Spun rod bearing - Honda Civic DIYs and Civic Tech Chat - Honda Civic Forum

LMFAO at this fag :super:. Talks a bunch of shit and now he's eating it! Go ahead and call me names and whatever the fuck else!! LOL Here you are telling everyone that Honda coats cranks... You sure sound like the noob.

Man, you just made my f'ing night...

Back