Rod bolt torque/stretch question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

andyrew500

I am using Eagle rods with the ARP bolts. Eagle calls for 28 ft lbs with the supplied moly lube or .0048"-.0052" stretch with oil for the rod bolts. The rods are carried over from my last build. I did not stretch them before, i just torqued em and had no problems. Well now, I am using the moly lube and torqued to 28-30 ft lbs while gauging the stretch, but I am only getting .002-.003" stretch. Should I torque them more or leave at the torque spec? I dont want to overtorque em. Thanks guys.

How many cycles of torquing the bolts down have you completed? If you are measuring the amount of torque rather than the stretch of the bolt, you need to torque the bolts down, then loosen them, and then re-torque them again inorder to fully work the moly lube into the metal surface, otherwise friction is still going to grab the bolt and give you a premature torque reading. I recommend about 5 cycles. It makes a big difference. If you did that, then I don't know the problem is, maybe incorrect specs.

First are you positive about the torque specs? Second are you using the stretch gauge properly? Are you preloading before you stretch. Check out this block build article to help you out.

Block buildup

Back