Rod/Sroke Ratio damage

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

uberdog

Lots of criticisim of building Frank motors and how the rod ratio of the b18 isn't suited to the high output but does anyone have a tear down report after some miles have been put on one of these builds. What was noticed about wear and tear or is the whole gripe just a mathmatical/hypothetical argument based on common knowledge about ideal ratios?
Another words, anyone have any proof of poor endurance/wear characteristics of the crv ls vtec build?

Total bullshit.... the rod/stroke of an LS/VTEC is 1.539, and the GSR has a ratio of 1.581. After 45k miles, the piston skirts and walls in my B20/VTEC were in very good shape. Build it properly and it'll last a LONG time.

Originally posted by uberdog@Feb 18 2005, 11:41 AM
Lots of criticisim of building Frank motors and how the rod ratio of the b18 isn't suited to the high output but does anyone have a tear down report after some miles have been put on one of these builds. What was noticed about wear and tear or is the whole gripe just a mathmatical/hypothetical argument based on common knowledge about ideal ratios?
Another words, anyone have any proof of poor endurance/wear characteristics of the crv ls vtec build?
[post=462591]Quoted post[/post]​

Although many people believe it's not ideal to rev a B18/20 to high rpm because it causes damage, there are many factors that are involved before making such an arguement.

As Calesta mentioned, no problems with the skirts, this is very true. However, there is more.

If you keep the factory rod bolts, and take your LS-CR/VTEC over 8,000 RPM on a regular basis, you'll be replacing your engine shortly. The rod bolts have a nasty habit of stretching and then breaking past 8k.

The factory rods in the LS/CRV are very weak. Stronger than say a D16, but not as strong as factory GSR/ITR rods. These can also break under high heat and heavy loads.

So if you're going to do it right, spend some time researching the facts and get the right parts so you can enjoy your engine for a long time to come.

Thanks guys
Calista, just out of curiosity, why did you tear into your crv/vtec after 45,000 miles?

Originally posted by uberdog@Feb 19 2005, 12:16 PM
Thanks guys
Calista, just out of curiosity, why did you tear into your crv/vtec after 45,000 miles?
[post=463120]Quoted post[/post]​

Calista = super skinny actress that got jiggy with Harrison Ford
Calesta = evil demon type character that feeds on people's suffering = my account name

:eek: :)

I got bored.

No.

I overrevved on a downshift and broke my ring lands loose on a piston. It was 100% my fault, not the engine's.

Back