Rode a 954RR yesterday....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hey are generally built around a high revving, small displacement powerplant that is usually sized around 600 cc to 800 cc. Most super sport bikes will carry a wet weight between 375—450 lb and produce 100+ hp.
I believe the official classification of a Ninja 250 is 'Beginner Bike'.

There is a popular 250cc racing class. The Ninja 250 IS a sportbike. "Beginner Bike" or "Beginner Class" is something you made up. The 250 is a popular "beginner's" choice because it's cheap and easy to ride.

"Usually" 600 to 800. a Sport bike is commonly available in it's "R" designation, as a race-track oriented bike. The Ninja 250 is NOT an "R". But Kawasaki does make a 250R (Not sold in the US) that IS Race designation. Racing bike engine sizes are set by the class, not the class set by the bike size. The 600 Ninja is a racing category bike. Why Kawasaki called the 650 an "R" is beyond me. There seem to be exceptions to every rule.

I would like to think that the 1000 cc bike class is also a "Sportbike" or "Supersport" class - with such hitters as Bimoto and Aprilia spending lots of time and effort in those categories. The ZX10R also being a phenomenal (And track oriented) bike.

This definition still doesn't fit. Stop attacking me.

There is a popular 250cc racing class. The Ninja 250 IS a sportbike. "Beginner Bike" or "Beginner Class" is something you made up. The 250 is a popular "beginner's" choice because it's cheap and easy to ride.

"Usually" 600 to 800. a Sport bike is commonly available in it's "R" designation, as a race-track oriented bike. The Ninja 250 is NOT an "R". But Kawasaki does make a 250R (Not sold in the US) that IS Race designation. Racing bike engine sizes are set by the class, not the class set by the bike size. The 600 Ninja is a racing category bike. Why Kawasaki called the 650 an "R" is beyond me. There seem to be exceptions to every rule.

Aww, there you go again, spouting off about something that you don't know quite as much about as you think you do. You do know that the only difference between the Ninja 250R and the Ninja 250 is that one is sold overseas and one is sold in the US, right? There's no 'race ready' 250 available...not on this planet, at least.

wikipedia said:
The Ninja 250 has little direct competition within its class in the United States. The main competitors are the other 250 cc "beginner bikes," namely Honda's Rebel 250 and Nighthawk 250, the Suzuki GZ250, and the Yamaha Virago 250. With the exception of the Nighthawk (a standard), these bikes are all cruisers. None of these bikes can match the Ninja 250's greater power, 14,000 rpm redline, 6-speed gearbox, tachometer, centerstand, or front and rear disc brakes.
So, in the realm of the beginner bikes, the Ninja 250 is king.

And if you want to get technical, 900+ cc bikes are 'superbikes' or 'liter bikes'.

And yes, even if it isn't EXACTLY 1000cc's it's still referred to as a liter bike.

edit: one more thing...FWIW the 250cc GP class are 2-cylinder motors...so you won't find a Ninja 250 there, either.

Last edited:
Ninja 250 is a two cylinder motor.

And there are two things going on here: One, our technical argument about what is what, and what the names and shit mean. Secondly, this Cel-hatred that everyone seems to share is a matter of perspective.

I think you are an asshole too. When you argue with me and just try to berate me, it's stupid. But I don't go voicing this. Otherwise you're an awesome dude.

Maintain civility. Arguments happen. People disagree.

No Cel-hatred from me man :) I like your opinions no matter how harsh at times.....

250cc GP class is generally 2 stroke
doesnt really matter if its a 1 or 2 cyl (2 cyl is the max)
a 4 stroke 250 would get ASS RAPED!!!! in the 250 GP class against the 2 stroke models

fyi: in the 500cc GP class 4 strokes are allowed... but they are allowed to run 800cc engines

Back