Rods / Pistons

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

smooth_criminal

Rebuilding a 99ls with 18g turbo setup. Need to order new pistons and rods today. What should i go with. I'm looking for 250 / 300whp.

Please let me know ASAP

does it need to be rebuilt, or are you just preparing for turbo?

If it doesn't need to be rebuilt keep it stock.

Other wise some Wiseco's 9.0:1 - 9.5:1

IB Spec H beams aren't too bad for rods.

It needs a rebuild. low comp in all cyl and it's been boosted for about a year. So now i'm looking for something that will hold with out having to worry about it

christ that website is horrendus.

jeff is the man though, very knowledgable.

there is really no reason to go to the IB rods, the eagles will be more than sufficient and at a lower cost. only reason to go to the IB rods would be if jeff can press the rods onto the pistons for ya so you won't have to take 'em to a machine shop. other than that, get the eagles and your piston of choice.

IB spec pistons are also very good pisons, but for your power levels, you could get away with much less of a piston. i'd look around and see what you can get a good deal on. SRP's usally go pretty cheap.

Yeah i emailed Jeff and await to hear back from him.
Also What do you guys think about the valve train, I would like to be able to rev to 8 K all day without having to worry about it to give me more time in boost.
And another thing i need a builder, I don't want to do the work this time. I want it built by a pro this way i know everthing thing is cool. i'm in NJ

definitely need new retainers, and while your in there get new springs and valves...maybe a new cam (z6 is SOHC isnt it?)

Quoted post[/post]]
definitely need new retainers, and while your in there get new springs and valves...maybe a new cam (z6 is SOHC isnt it?)

Should be a b18b1...

Anywho, Skunk 2 makes a nice valves, Dual valve springs and titanium retainers. The valves aren't really necessary, but the springs and retainers will help you rev to 8k+ reliably.

Since you have $4k to play with, you might want to consider a VTEC head as well. Good power for the money.

And the BEST engine builder would be yourself. Send the head off to be rebuilt by a machine shop, get all of your machine work done professionally, and assemble it yourself. I don't trust many people to build engines for me.. and I don't have the $$ to have any of the good builders like spoon/skunk2/JG/Dynamic/R&S build one for me.

just my two cents.

I trust my engine builder...mainly cause i know where he lives, and i go to church with him...he fucks my shit up, pain will be caused.

Sorry about the z6 confusion, i thought i was in a different thread, but yea, springs and retainers will help you get to high rpms with a smaller chance of floating a valve.

OK well i just came back from a local builder and if looks like these guys knew there shit. I'm going to have them build the block and i'll see if i have any money let for the head. I think i'm going to go with the whole eagle rotational assembley.

lol sounds like a friend of mine...he keeps telling me "man, if i get into honda, im gonna have a 2L B18...fuck that stock stroke"

Quoted post[/post]]
does it need to be rebuilt, or are you just preparing for turbo?

If it doesn't need to be rebuilt keep it stock.

Other wise some Wiseco's 9.0:1 - 9.5:1

IB Spec H beams aren't too bad for rods.

Jeff's I beams > Eagle H beams

The IB I beams are really Probe Ultralites. They're plenty strong, and they're a good bit lighter than the Eagle rods- so you'll make more power.

As for pistons, CP's are awesome. Rocket hooked me up with a good deal on some customs. If your in Cali, it's worth your time to get to know him. Mike, those rods you sold me are sick too. looking to turn the motor over this week. finally.

and as fr the whole eagle rotational assemby...

you really don't need the crank... lots of wasted money IMO

Back