Rot is sorry

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Nice welds.

I've missed quite a bit lately from my lack of logging in and reading o_O

Sweet! looks good man!

If your worried about strength of the welds dont grind the welds, it makes them weaker!
^ Ditto
Paint them so they don't rust after wire wheeling them. After they cool of course.

how much are those engine stands rated for? 2 should hold up the z's bare frame, but just double checking.

1000 lbs each, but after a little more modifications...they should be stought enough to hold a hell of a lot more. Even thought the shell is like 500-700 lbs, and split that with two stands...It'll be safe.

It looks like the pivot point isnt level with the ground, or is that just from the way the pics are taken? If not then your going to have a heck of a time rotating it.

The flex from the weight of the car will level it out, just like the RB25 on the engine stand...the RB dropped the engine stand down a good 4 inches....or about 12 degree's.

Almost half done...... :shocked:

Got one side mostly done, just got to add some braces and finish one weld....I ran thru a full spool of the flux core... :lol: , so now I got to go buy some gas, and really get serious.

For a first project, it's not turning out to bad. I'm learning to not have my pants under the splatter, I caught on fire yesterday.... :evil: , and to take time with the wire....it's completely different than regular stick welding that I did years ago.

And the stand at this point...I can jump on it, and it doesn't move at all...I think this stand might actually take the weight of a Z with everything except the engine. :twisted:

now for some pics... :lol:

DSC02442.JPG

DSC02443.JPG

DSC02444.JPG

DSC02445.JPG

DSC02446.JPG

DSC02447.JPG

DSC02448.JPG

DSC02449.JPG

DSC02453.JPG

DSC02455.JPG

just sent a link to this thread to my manager, he's been thinking about ways to be able to flip and roll his classic mini cooper to work on it, he's going to use you as inspiration.

hehe...

I'm not an engineer...

Which will be the best?....but taking into account the the angle fore and aft will change when the weight is increased. in other words, it will sag towards the middle of the bottom beam. And also the angle from the lean-back is not dead center from the rotation point in relation to the bottom beam...

Red
Blue
Black
Yellow
White

???

brace.JPG

i would have to go with white, to allow some alleviation to the weld right there in the middle, i have a feeling thats going to be one of your wealest points while holding the car up

Just don't weld the box tubing end to end. If you must try to get a way to overlap it a bit then bolt and weld to help eliminate flexing on the entire joint.

i wish I had a spec sheet on grade 8 hardware as well on hand to refer to, It never hurts to overbuild a little in this case.

I thought about it...home depot didn't have anything large or over 255lb limit...there is another place I saw some, when I take the subaru in for it's 30,000 mile check up, I'll snag some.

Well, did a little more shopping today....

Finally bought a tank of 75% argon/ 25% CO2, bought a welders jacket, a welding table, some anti-splatter spray, more wire, and some other stuff...

prepped the supports....and holy cow!!!! :shocked:

It welds a hell of a lot better than the flux core!!!!. 8)

Finally some clean welds...and still not bad for a new guy.

More pics... :D

DSC02456.JPG

DSC02457.JPG

DSC02458.JPG

DSC02459.JPG

DSC02460.JPG

DSC02461.JPG

DSC02462.JPG

DSC02463.JPG

DSC02464.JPG

DSC02465.JPG

DSC02466.JPG

DSC02468.JPG

And the rot is sorry stand is 1/2 done....the other half should just fly by...and I'm taking tonight off work...so I hope to have everything cut. cleaned, and ready to weld at once. The red car needs to go on it Friday or sat.....

My other little toys showed up yesterday...and I want to get the brown car running with them, and all the sweet parts from the red Z....

DSC02441.JPG

DSC02435.JPG

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Back