rotten egg smell

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

a bunch of people, including myself were wondering what causes that rotten egg smell coming from what seems to be the engine?

my mom's 1996 mercury villager, has that smell; my cousins 1994 toyota corolla, has that smell; and my 1991 civic dx hb has that smell. with all cars, the smell is very strong after coming to a complete stop, like at a red light.

any help would be appreciated, thanks.

my boys moms camery would do that when she used to pick us up from skool
she was real up tight and would drive agresivly up a hill and every day around the same place the car would shake and the it would get filled with the smell and windows up or down it was almost unbarable

yeah exhaust smell is ok when you start the motor but when it warms up after driving around the exahust starts smelling like rotten eggs

Smell = bad catalytic converter, incomplete combustion, something in the combustion to exhaust pathway...

If you're smelling the exhaust inside the car with the windows up, you have an exhaust leak somewhere. Get that fixed.

Maybe it is attributed to a batch of bad local gas, since more than one familiar vehicle has it going on.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Apr 14 2004, 12:20 PM
Maybe it is attributed to a batch of bad local gas, since more than one familiar vehicle has it going on.

:withstupid:

I can't see any other reason why so many totally different cars in the same area would have the same smell...

Originally posted by SpodaB1@Apr 14 2004, 09:02 PM
did you let your car ingest beer and boiled eggs? Im kdding... lame attempt at humor.

Hello, and welcome to the first post.

I can tell you it is bad gas or too low of a octane. Put in better gas or a booster and it will go away. If the cat was bad you would see other problems like back fire hard start black smoke. My Ex's RSX did the same thing when she put mid grade and high test in from a differnet gas staion it went away.

It's time for a tune up if you have the "rotten egg" smell. It is caused by sulfur content in the fuel when an overly rich mixture is reacting in the converter. If you let this happen too long it will destroy the cat.

like everyone else said, its most likely the cat.

Back