Router Setup

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Havok

Ok, my roomate just got a new computer...And he wants internet. I have a cable modem and non wireless router in my room (on the right side of pic) and his room is on opposite side of apartment.

What I want to know is : What is the easiest way to setup a wireless router in here? I may as well setup the Xbox Live in the Living Room to the surrund sound system. I don't want wires going thru the places looking nigga rigged, and he dosen't want to spend 50 bucks extra a month for a cable modem.

Below is a horrible drawing via MS Paint (I spent all of 3 minutes, don't laugh) I was thinking of having the wireless router on the bar. Anyone have any ideas? I know I will need to buy a decent wireless router , but it would have to go thru a wall on each side, I know I will need to buy a decent wireless router but what else will I need other than the router? And no, I am not going to drill holes or rip up carpet, or I would have already done that.

s40a3a529c0e23.jpg

since you already have a router you can get just an "access point" which is basically a 1 port wireless router, to plug into a port in your router. its cheaper that way, this is how i'm setup at home. also for your xbox, you can get a wireless bridge for it, i have one, i think it is a linksys. it cost $50 and works well enough for live, and no wires :)

A wireless 4 port router isn't that much these days.
in your case I'd put the router near the xbox, as it needs a wired connection.
and pick up some wireless NIC cards for the computers.

Originally posted by pills_PMD@May 13 2004, 02:10 PM
word. 802.11b routers are cheap as fuck now.

Yeah but 802.11b is weaksauce...go for the 802.11g and you will not be disapointed. Just pick up the Wireless access point and be done with it.

Keep in mind, my house was built in the 40's right after the war, and all my walls are plaster, cynderblock, plaster, 60 years of layers of paint. I could not get a good enough signle to actually go online and not get kicked off all the time, so we bought an signel extender. WORKS great

MS paint coming through.

s40a3ea2477a24.jpg

X= wireless router, 0= extender.

edit, my MS paint >>>>>>>>>> yours. I also spent 2 or so mintues on it. Box tool is your freind.

as a hardware provider, i dont recommend wireless linksys products. i had the whole wireless setup, but kept getting kicked offline. total distance between the 3 pc's networked was.... ~10 feet at most, with just a basic wood floor between the pc's and the wireless router. i swapped over to a dlink and it was much better. i also recommend dlink or belkin products to my customers. now a wired setup, i would use linksys cards, but a dlink or 3com router.

an access point is just that. its run together with a wired router or connected directly to a pc.

a wireless router is a router with an access point built in.

Back