Rover engines and you....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hosmer

I made the millionth post
VIP
Alright, 94 Rover 416/216's came with Honda motors in them (D16A9's...?)

ae_1_b.JPG

The same year Rovers (420's) came with 2.0t's in them (rated at 230bhp).

7c_1_b.JPG

I've seen the Rover 216's with B16 swaps. Was just wondering if anyone had seen/heard of someone swapping one of these into one of our EG's or something. I know its facing the wrong way, but the chassis are the same (I think)..the bodypanels are anyway

Looks possible/interesting....except it has a MAF

is it me, or does that look exactly like a 4g63?

anyway, i do know that there is extensive mount and wiring work that needs to be done to drop a b16 into the rover's...... so i'm sure its a good pain in the ass back.

b, if it makes you feel any better....i thought the same thing...

friggin 4g63 masta over there gotta burst my bubble.

Yeah, I guess you're right on the wiring..I just noticed theres no cannon plugs

meh...just a thought

Rover sourced out all their car shit for decades. They still, to a degree, do.

What I want to know is how Rover backed up it's 80s claim to develop "Cars with more torque, where you use it more often". I wanna how they made that claim with Honda engines.

I have a feeling that the designs are the same, but all of the tolerances and gearing is different. I'm working on this theory. Unfortunately, the people in the know don't give a crap about some yank sending them an email.

sad...the corperate conglomerate (too lazy to sp check) is still steppin on the lil guy...keepin us in da dark

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
its NOTHING like a 4g63t

first, its transverse

second, the 4g63 doesnt have a distributor

looks transverse to me...

as for the distributor, that is largely a part of the electronics system. rover could easily have used their own management that calls for a dist?

what year rover does this come in?

transverse/whatever. also, dont rovers have that backwards electrical system where the positive charge runs through the chassis?

97+ mirage/evo's have the motor going the same way as in the rover.

noone with a 97+ mirage is going to do this motor. the 1.5/1.8 guys swap in the stealth/3kgt motors, and those already with the 63t just make those faster.

I tried looking it up, but i didn't find much. What is a rover and why were they using such an old style honda motor?

What is a Rover ? Well, here is a quick lesson.

In other countries they don't speak english. They don't know what "rights are" and they mostly can't read a free media. They also - and this may come as a surprise - Don't have our cars :) The Leyland Rover group (Land Rover, Original Range Rover, Leyland/Austin Cooper and the car segment, "Rover") is a company over there in England. Just like US companies, they decide that if they can licence someone else's design and sell it at a profit - they do just that. Rover had a special agreement with Honda to supply bodies and engines for the Rover marque.

Here is the thing: Gasoline in the UK is, and has always been, super expensive. So the tendency to go with efficient motors has been ingrained there a lot longer than here. Because of this they release a lot of cars that you and I may enjoy - only they do it in smaller engine sizes and sometimes (Mostly, in fact) diesels. Rover also advertised themselves as selling cars that had more Torque than the usual car found in their class. Which is odd, considering they used Honda motors. My contention is that there are differences in the older Rover SOHC engines that made them better for torque. I had always wanted to find out more about this - but most of my online friends from the UK are sheep buggering homosexual techno freaks and don't do the first goddam thing about a car - Other resources are hard to find because no one builds Rovers for high performance (Well.. not in those years anyway). Also, to my knowledge there is no "Roverswap.co.uk"

Although there damned well should be.

Ford owns Rover as of recently.

There was actually a Rover dealer in Colorado Springs back in the 80s. Check out some of the pullyards and you can still see some in that area.

so.... terrible motors... in terrible rusting POSs.... and you like them?

the rover V8 from a while ago is the biggest piece to ever exist.... electric shorts and dont even get me started on them eating alternators... BAH!

worthless.

Both the motors in the 1st post are 94's

You should see the dual cam Honda motor they put in them..."DOHC" and a bunch of lines embossed in a flat valve cover

*EDIT*

heres a pic of one:

216Skanzo_FTAH_011.jpg

This is all mid-90's shit

Back