royal purple v.s. mobile 1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

90htchbck

heard lots of good things about royal purple motor oil just wanted to get some more opinions, for a stock 1.6 sohc vtec what would be best, for a sythetic oil??? valvoline, mobile 1 or royal purple/??

5w30 all year around for where you live.

I ran purple royal all year long it ran better then the mobil 1 I tryed so idk... but now I run a Castrol and it runs a ton better... so matter of how you drive..:p

if you have a car with stock internals or a car that doesnt get VERY FUCKING HOT. your a idiot to buy royal purple..

the only diffrence between

Mobile 1 fully synt

and Royal Purple..

is heat breakdown diffrence

royal purple has a higher heat break down (a heat breakdown that most of our 1.6 - 2.0 liter motors never reach to unless their massivly boosted or built..

The lubricating part is no diffrence at all..

so go ahead and waste your money on royal purple

You are full of crap. Its been proven on a dyno that royal purple DOES free up an extra 5ish horsepower in a honda. Its thinner, its slippery, it costs more.

Long term? I dunno. Protection, no idea either, but it does do something that mobile 1 does not.

P.S. If any engine is opperating in the "very fucking hot" range, there is something wrong with it. Fix it.

NO, YOUR FULL OF SHIT, and its called a fucking "turbo" or athmospheric pressure motor. tho you probably dont even know what that is. please dont try to argue kid. go take your automatic d15 for a canyon run

lol well ignore the age part :D..

but yeah. thats only diffrence man lol thats why people that rather more ''perform with their cars'' use royal purple..

and about the whole ''engine getting hot''

uhh yeah buddy ill break it down like this..

turbo's = heats up your motor and will give ur motor a higher normal operatiing temp..

wow are you guys being serious .......

GO ahead and test the theory then. get a gauge for your oil temp.

then buy ur self a turbo

HELL even get a oil cooler..

and youl see your temp will be higher.

why do u think people shoot rods/pistons out of blocks with massive turbo.?

mass heat.... causes shit to melt.

thats y u get royal purple if u have that massive heat.

i went over this with a really good mechanic in Valencia. CA

M1 is more then perfect for u. need to spend a extra 2-3 bucks a quart to buy royal

There's plenty of people that run RP down here with turbos and do not have overheating issues.

Only thing I've heard about RP is a lot of people have problems with it shearing(band-aid fix would be to run a higher weight).

Meh PR is good stuff. I liked it because of how thing it was.. and on my Stock D16z6 it actully made my Winter and on a cold moring starts quicker and it took less time for my car to come up to normal temp. also it felt like I got more engine reponce from it then Mobil 1.

When I dropped my D15b VTEC in my Rex, I ran Royal Purple. I use Castrol cause that's what the dealers carry.
There was a definate responce compared to using regular motor oil. I had fun with that.

*update*
Here is the Royal Purple statements.
Articles Endorsing Royal Purple

I will try to find something that isn't biased. AMSOIL pops up a lot, but I think they are all about themselves.

Last edited:
well from what i knw mobile 1 and castrol gtx r great for street biulds and stock... knw ppl who go 2 da track often and not just 1/4 mile but circuit have problems withoil temp not water temp... alot of ppl recommend royal purple for those ppl because running rroyal purple does help in thoes long races... but mobile 1 and castrol gtx both work good 2... im not sure about gtx on the circuit but mobile 1 and royal purple r pretty much great plus nobody here is planning on spending 15k, 20k, on a builed 2 worry about that, cause wen u talk about being picky about oil u should already have at least a baffled oil pan and after market oil pump and money for som track fuel for som endurance races

I really didnt notice a difference in the RP or Mobil. I dont use either since Ive had 2 motors die using mobil1 synth in them. Both were NOT highly modified cars and both had oil failure issues.

I like Redline Oil if you can afford it or Pennzoil dino oil and change it regularly.

Back