RPM Stability

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

utn

I've never seen a car do what mine is doing, but then again I haven't been around too many cars like mine, old CRX's with B16s. I have a 1989 CRX DX with an apparently full B16A1 swap, MPFI, ECU, Tranny etc. But my question starts here,

When I start my car from a cold engine, the RPMs are pretty low, around 500 or so when at idle from a cold start. Eventually when its all nice and warm it idles just fine at about 900 RPMs. I don't think thats much of a problem but when I am at idle and i rev the engine a little, say to 1,500 RPMs or so it wont stay still at any temp. The RPMs sway up and down about +/- 200 RPMs. If I give it more gas it just sways faster, then it passes this catch point and is fine. could this be a vaccum line or what, is there a serious problem that I don't know about? I want to sell my CRX but before I do, I want it to be in the best working condition as possible.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks,
Scott

Originally posted by utn@Oct 12 2004, 07:55 PM
I've never seen a car do what mine is doing, but then again I haven't been around too many cars like mine, old CRX's with B16s. I have a 1989 CRX DX with an apparently full B16A1 swap, MPFI, ECU, Tranny etc. But my question starts here,

When I start my car from a cold engine, the RPMs are pretty low, around 500 or so when at idle from a cold start. Eventually when its all nice and warm it idles just fine at about 900 RPMs. I don't think thats much of a problem but when I am at idle and i rev the engine a little, say to 1,500 RPMs or so it wont stay still at any temp. The RPMs sway up and down about +/- 200 RPMs. If I give it more gas it just sways faster, then it passes this catch point and is fine. could this be a vaccum line or what, is there a serious problem that I don't know about? I want to sell my CRX but before I do, I want it to be in the best working condition as possible.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks,
Scott
[post=401826]Quoted post[/post]​

where in the country are you?? maybe i could help.

Irvine, California.

I just went out there about an hour ago and tested it out again, and the RPMs aren't stable at any RPM when out of gear, but at higher RPMs its more stable than at lower.

What's going on?

Thanks again,
Scott

Originally posted by utn@Oct 12 2004, 08:42 PM
Irvine, California.

I just went out there about an hour ago and tested it out again, and the RPMs aren't stable at any RPM when out of gear, but at higher RPMs its more stable than at lower.

What's going on?

Thanks again,
Scott
[post=401863]Quoted post[/post]​

sweet im right up the freeway in Riverside, actually indian hills/ rubidoux area to be exact. i could help you look at it if you want. You said soemthing about selling it, how much you talking? my cells 951 907 1549 lemme know if you need soem help, im thinking vaccume or idle control valve, how olds the swap?

Well here's what I gots on it.

'ice' Blue '89 CRX DX
B16A1 swap
Complete exhaust w/ 4-2-1 header.
Cold air intake
Skunk2 Coilovers
Alpine Stero system w/subwoofer, amp and controller
Almost brand new tires on 13" rims (not stock rims)
A touchy "Racing Clutch" (specific type is unknown)

100,3xx miles on body, aprox 50,000 on engine

The swap was made at about 93,000 miles according to sevice records if I remember correctly. I bought the car from the original owner, so I'm the second owner and I've had it for about 5 weeks.

Originally posted by utn@Oct 12 2004, 09:11 PM
Well here's what I gots on it.

'ice' Blue '89 CRX DX
B16A1 swap
Complete exhaust w/ 4-2-1 header.
Cold air intake
Skunk2 Coilovers
Alpine Stero system w/subwoofer, amp and controller
Almost brand new tires on 13" rims (not stock rims)
A touchy "Racing Clutch" (specific type is unknown)

100,3xx miles on body, aprox 50,000 on engine

The swap was made at about 93,000 miles according to sevice records if I remember correctly. I bought the car from the original owner, so I'm the second owner and I've had it for about 5 weeks.
[post=401872]Quoted post[/post]​

so what are you trying to get for the car? is it a real racing clutch or is it just a tightened clutch cable? is it an si car w/ sunroof or sumthin or what model is it. hows the exterior/ interior??

I'm not positive on the clutch or clutch cable, i just went outside and adjusted the clutch cable and the feel of the clutch didn't change, although the position where the clutch engaged did. It's not an Si, its the DX, no sunroof. The interior is in quite good condition so is the exterior, there is no rust on it either. The only damage that could be noticed is the left front wheel well, the previous owner broke his axle and the wheel came up and hit it, slightly bending the metal outwards, but it doesnt look bad at all. I can take some pictures for you tomorrow if you want, there isnt enough light out tonight to show it fully. I would hope to get $3,500 or best offer.

Originally posted by utn@Oct 12 2004, 09:57 PM
I'm not positive on the clutch or clutch cable, i just went outside and adjusted the clutch cable and the feel of the clutch didn't change, although the position where the clutch engaged did. It's not an Si, its the DX, no sunroof. The interior is in quite good condition so is the exterior, there is no rust on it either. The only damage that could be noticed is the left front wheel well, the previous owner broke his axle and the wheel came up and hit it, slightly bending the metal outwards, but it doesnt look bad at all. I can take some pictures for you tomorrow if you want, there isnt enough light out tonight to show it fully. I would hope to get $3,500 or best offer.
[post=401902]Quoted post[/post]​

3500 sounds a lill steep for the probs it has but i will consider it, i wont judge it till i see some pics tho, it would be cool if you could take some.

u should lower that price about 1000$..cus everyone knows,that u could put 100,000 dollars worth of mods into a car..but if u sell it,the person that wants to buy it,doesnt care how much money u spent modding it...

Well I had a similar problem with my civic after I did a ZC swap, turned out that it was the distributor. Damn thing kept frying my coil after a while, changed it all out and never had problems with the idle surging again. It could also be your ecu, Id check that out too.

Originally posted by 91civicsiracer@Oct 13 2004, 02:20 AM
Well I had a similar problem with my civic after I did a ZC swap, turned out that it was the distributor. Damn thing kept frying my coil after a while, changed it all out and never had problems with the idle surging again. It could also be your ecu, Id check that out too.
[post=402030]Quoted post[/post]​

umm did ou check out the coolant level, and make sure to bleed it properly!

Back