RPM TO MPH ratio

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ok i just noticed something on the article gear ratio to mph. It says with a 94-2000 Ls tranny at 8000 rpm in 5th gear it should be 180 mph. If i am going 70 mph in 5th gear at 4000 rpm is it possible that this is correct and if i gave it another 4000 rpms in 5th gear to bring the rpms to 8000 rpms i would be going 180 mph. If so everything is correct right>?

your speedo must be off. with my y21 im at a almost 75mph in 5th gear at 4000rpm. what size tires are you running?

the tranny chart isn't saying you will go 180.5@5913 rpm. 180.5 is the redline speed for the tranny and engine in 5th gear. the 5913 is the rpm you should be at when you shift from 4th to 5th. if you look a little lower on the chart, it says you will be going 70 mph at 3103 rpm in top gear.

Ahhh i didn't even notice that lower part you were mentioning. Now I know something is strange with my setup. I figured out how to read the chart and now noticed the 70 mph in 5th gear thingy. How do i know what tranny i have. Where is the serial to look for and what do they mean? IS there any other way my rpm to mph could be wrong, not wrong as in off, but wrong as in the gears are slipping or the power is lost or something?

And thanks Dman and 60 second for the help

use that tire size calc to see the exact difference between the two tires because i doubt they are the exact same size

did you input your stock size wheels or did you use the miatas? if its not your wheels its your speed sensor.

i entered my stock size. Also what i am trying to say is that the speedo seems right, meaning when it says 70 it feels like 70 not 80 or 85.

Back