RSR Exhaust purchase

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Too late to do that, i probably should of taken it to an exhaust shop, gotten a magnaflow muffler and resonators, o well, but the website said it wouldnt be shipped out til the end of this week.

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Jul 24 2005, 01:32 AM
Why not build your own? cheaper sounds better and can be made to llo more legal
[post=530332]Quoted post[/post]​

reasons why I didnt build my own exhaust system, and why i will most likely buy an RS*R to replace my current one if / when i decide to:
all of the muffler shops suck balls (monro, midas, mineke, etc), and most of the "performance" and hotrod shops arent much better
they dont use stainless, they use some really shitty quality steel
the few places that can / do use stainless steel usually dont use the right type of wire for welding it so the welds end up rusting / rotting / falling apart, making the extra money spent on the stainless steel worthless
99% of them cant weld for shit... i dont consider throwing on a large enough snot of weld that it somehow manages to hold "welding"
they dont mandrel bend they crush bend
the few places that can mandrel bend can only mandrel bend regular steel not stainless steel

so basicly in my area (central CT) the chance of getting a QUALITY exhaust system custom made is slim to none

i looked around at getting a custom exhaust made for my del sol when i was buying everything... called pretty much every shop in a 25 mile radius... no one could do what i wanted... stainless steel, mandrel bent, quiet..... so i bought the tanabe HM, its full stainless, mandrel bent, light weight, welds look great, its quiet for normal driving, never sounds ricey, the tip is a little big for my taste but it doesnt look like the grapefruit shooters everyone else is driving around with... overall i am very happy with my choice
i have seen the "custom exhausts" done at shops in my area.... i wouldnt be cought dead with one of those on my car (i would rather run pace setter)

so really the only option ends up being to order several mandrel bent stainless steel corners, and a few straights, a resonator, a muffler, etc... cut them all up to get all the pieces you will need, weld them together (using the proper setup and someone who fucking knows how to weld), but even then all the seams are still going to create ass loads of turbulance and reduce the flow of the exhaust

in my oppinion unless you are making a complete custom dyno tuned exhaust system for the car, im talking full custom built header all the way back, a GOOD after market exhaust is a better idea

pretty much what e said is why I didn't go the muffler man route again. I went with some galvinzed steel or something like that, then they used crush bent pipeing, and a muffler someone recomended to me to make it real quiet. Well it ended up being loud as shit and I hated it from the drive home from the place.

Back