RSX type S tranny on K24

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

iowasmurf

I've got a 03 Honda CRV front wheel drive and it revs at 3000rpm at 60mph, The gears are geared really close. I really like the car, I was wondering If I could slap on a 6 speed RSX type S tranny on it to give it better gas mileage on the highway. I've done plenty of B series and D series swap before but never touched any of the K series before. Anybody out there that worked with these motors? I'd sure like some input thanks.

Originally posted by iowasmurf@Sep 18 2005, 05:55 AM
I've got a 03 Honda CRV front wheel drive and it revs at 3000rpm at 60mph, The gears are geared really close. I really like the car, I was wondering If I could slap on a 6 speed RSX type S tranny on it to give it better gas mileage on the highway. I've done plenty of B series and D series swap before but never touched any of the K series before. Anybody out there that worked with these motors? I'd sure like some input thanks.
[post=556195]Quoted post[/post]​

wow that's pretty high for 60mph. That's a 4 speed automatic?

Originally posted by iowasmurf@Sep 18 2005, 06:13 PM
NO It's a 5 speed manual. And yes it is 2wd, not a lot out there but there are a few.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CR-V-...sspagenameZWDVW
[post=556359]Quoted post[/post]​

I guess Honda changed some stuff, because a 5 speed manual isn't an option with a 2wd or 4wd LX on the 06s.

What are the gear ratios for the 5 speed? I don't see why you'd want to change from a 5 sp to a 6 sp (which will probably give you shorter gearing) for gas mileage.

I'm not sure what the gear ratios are and don't have time to look them up right now but All I know is that at 60mph the engines at 3000rpm at 70mph it's at 4000rpm and at 80mph it's at 4500rpm at 90mph it's at 5000rpm and that's all in fifth gear. I was going 90mph through Nebraska on the way to California a year ago and I pretty much went 90 all the way. I was averaging 200miles per tank and I've got a 12 or 13 gallon tank. That's pretty bad gass mileage. I don't know much about the rsx 6 speed tranny but I thought that extra gear would keep the rpms lower in those higher speeds? Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyone have a type S?

Originally posted by 2000Si@Sep 18 2005, 08:12 PM
What are the gear ratios for the 5 speed? I don't see why you'd want to change from a 5 sp to a 6 sp (which will probably give you shorter gearing) for gas mileage.
[post=556383]Quoted post[/post]​

6th gear will give you a lower rpm for the same speed, which gives you better gas mileage. I wish I had a sixth gear on my B16's tranny. 5th gear on the expressway revs pretty high. The highest gear on most tranny's is kinda like an "overdrive" gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back