Rt. 17 Report.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I took a run up there last night to check it out and to see how the new struts handle. They're MUCH better than the 191K mile struts that they replaced. Anyway...

The hill is back in all it's glory. The sand and frost heaves are gone, the trees are blooming, and the sounds of tires squealing and a engines revving echo off the walls of the mountain.

Anyone that wants to come up for a weekend and hit it, lemmie know.

It's good to be alive.

"the dude" in his DX civic with JDM valve cover mods :) made it and hung quite well.... hell i thought it was an EX the whole time.

think of it as autoX... you're in last place, or in first place, or anywhere in between- but you're still having a damn good time :)

Unless something comes up, I'll be there for the end of may

Is Route 17 in Oregon Loco? I live in Washington, and a trip to Oregon wouldn't be that bad. :p :p

<<<<<Needs suspension upgrades :(

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Apr 26 2004, 09:10 AM
So what if you can keep up or not? It's not a goddamn race.

i wasnt sure if you guys would be going fast or not.

I live in Vermont again.

And...

i wasnt sure if you guys would be going fast or not.

Well, uh, yeah we'll be going fast... lol... I sure as shit plan on using all of the available throttle throw and boost range, and slip angles are at the forefront of my mind whenever I head up there. :) Speed ranges between ~35 MPH in the tightest turns (signs say 15), to eh... 120-ish on the downhill straights. Or, at least that's me. I dunno about you guys.

So driving Rte. 17 with you will be akin to running a hillclimb? Will we need helmets and rollcages? Shit, I'll need to throw the Azenis in the back of the hatch. :eek:

j/k I don't want to kill my little Si... that Rte. 17 sounds like it will be fun to drive in a spirited but not life-threatening fashion. I'd rather be the last car in the pack and not be tailgaited. :)

Yeah, kinda like a hill climb. You don't need helmets or cages because it's not a sanctioned event, but if you want to wear a helmet, nobody would laugh at you. I used to, before I got familiar with the hill. I make about 100- 150 runs a year up that road, so I know it pretty well. Yes, I'd bring the Azenis... It's a VERY fun road to drive. If you'd rather ride up it and get talked through it, I have a seat available.

How long is the run? I could be happy driving that road all weekend long and skip the tour of the exotic cars. lol. The first time I stayed in Austin, TX I made several passes through that Lime Creek Road next to Lake Travis. Cheap thrills work for me! :)

It's about nine miles long from bottom, over the top, and down the backside a ways. And don't worry... we will be driving it more than we did last year... ;)

Sweetness! I am more used to driving solo rather than in a pack. I found those NH runs to be more frustrating than fun. I just like to focus on me and the road, and not get distracted by you guys going faster than me. In normal driving on the Saw Mill Parkway, I am usually the fastest car on the road, but then again the people around me just aren't enjoying the road in the same way. I don't like to push my speeds to the point of white-knuckle driving.

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Apr 26 2004, 12:02 PM
I don't like to push my speeds to the point of white-knuckle driving.

Well, you're welcome to back off a bit. Nobody will make fun. However, speaking of white knuckles... if you ride with me, you'll see Jesus so often, you'll swear he's my braking marker. ;)

Originally posted by Airjockie@Apr 26 2004, 02:23 PM
if I get the AE86 done....I'll take you up on the downhill......

Rte. 17 aka Akina Mountain... :p

Originally posted by Airjockie@Apr 26 2004, 01:23 PM

I dunno man... It's my home mountain... I've probably been over it five or six hundred times... I can visualize every turn, every braking point, every line, and know the entry speed for every turn, both in the dry, wet, and in the snow... Cars being equal, I'm not sure anyone could keep up with me on that road.

My AllTrac is stock and isn't the best pavement pounder, and on top of that, I've decided to run some 195/60- 15 Dunlop D60A2s (stock size is 215/50) this season because they were free and I can't find a decent cheap tire in that size (I'm not spending $150 a tire)... The car is still fun to drive and is well balanced, but it won't pull the most G's.

For that reason, you may very well be able to beat me in the AE86. Let me do the same mods to the AllTrac, and then we can talk. ;)

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+Apr 26 2004, 12:44 PM-->
Airjockie
@Apr 26 2004, 01:23 PM

I dunno man... It's my home mountain... I've probably been over it five or six hundred times... I can visualize every turn, every braking point, every line, and know the entry speed for every turn, both in the dry, wet, and in the snow... Cars being equal, I'm not sure anyone could keep up with me on that road.

But what if he uses the gutter technique?! :ph34r: :ph34r: :D

There aren't any gutters. Seany-izzle developed a similar technique, though. It's called the Guard Rail Technique.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Apr 26 2004, 12:43 PM
Yeah, kinda like a hill climb.

:werd:

You don't need helmets or cages because it's not a sanctioned event, but if you want to wear a helmet, nobody would laugh at you.

wore mine pretty much the whole time i was in VT :lmao:

we will be driving it more than we did last year... ;)

w00t!!!1!!!

Back