Rt. 17 Report.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'd like to take this time to give you all a little reality check...

Rt. 17 is an unforgiving road. There's blind, off camber turns. There's long sweeping downhill turns that easily let you hit triple digit speeds, and then suddenly, you're faced with a decreasing radius that requires you to slow down to 40 in about 100'.

Every year, a few people die on the road. Mostly motorcyclists, but a few cage drivers. I'm not saying this to make it sound like the road is out to get you, but goddamnit, use your head. You've never driven this road before. I have. I don't give a damn if you're Takumi Fujiwara or if you can drift with your knee while lighting a cigarette... You have nothing to prove to me or anyone else up there. If you want to race me, invite me to an open track day, and let's even the playing field by using the same car (mine or yours; I don't care).

Liquid00meth could very well have wrecked his car or been seriously injured or even died, and he is very lucky. He's a perfect example of an inexperienced driver in a slow car trying to keep pace with a seasoned driver in a fast car. Some days you can pull it off for a while. Either way, you'll either wake up, or end up in the weeds, or both. I'm not saying that to belittle him. Rather, I'm using it as a prime example of just how quickly things can and will go bad up there. Had he not been last in line, he would have caused an accident.

I want to see at least 100' between cars while we're up there, and I want you to pay attention to what the person in front of you is doing. If you don't feel you can safely keep up, pull over and let the people behind you pass. If you want to bring a helmet, you can. I most likely will be wearing mine this time. Also, since we're going to spend more than one run (about a half hour each way) up there, I'd like to check everyone's vehicles out to make sure there are no incidents. Excessive, maybe, but in my ~8 years of hosting VT meets, I've never had an accident. 'Meth's spin was the worst that's ever happened, and I'd like to keep it that way. I also look at it like this- the type of driving we'll be doing on this road is the same type of driving you'd find at an open track day, so why not inspect the vehicles?

I don't have a problem with excessive speeding. All I'm trying to say is that we REALLY need to be careful.

Sounds like fun...it can't be any crazier than the time me and Jon (dropshop) hit some back roads up in the NH white mount range....that was fun trying to keep up with a boosted civic....

But the NH run's we did with QuikSi and the ClubSi crew were fun....but they stuck to the Kanga road most of the time....

I miss those day's...now that I have boost, I might get in a world of hurt, but the car is all prepped for the worst, just no cage yet....or engine. :(

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Apr 27 2004, 01:56 AM
I'd like to take this time to give you all a little reality check...

Rt. 17 is an unforgiving road. There's blind, off camber turns. There's long sweeping downhill turns that easily let you hit triple digit speeds, and then suddenly, you're faced with a decreasing radius that requires you to slow down to 40 in about 100'.

Every year, a few people die on the road. Mostly motorcyclists, but a few cage drivers. I'm not saying this to make it sound like the road is out to get you, but goddamnit, use your head. You've never driven this road before. I have. I don't give a damn if you're Takumi Fujiwara or if you can drift with your knee while lighting a cigarette... You have nothing to prove to me or anyone else up there. If you want to race me, invite me to an open track day, and let's even the playing field by using the same car (mine or yours; I don't care).

Liquid00meth could very well have wrecked his car or been seriously injured or even died, and he is very lucky. He's a perfect example of an inexperienced driver in a slow car trying to keep pace with a seasoned driver in a fast car. Some days you can pull it off for a while. Either way, you'll either wake up, or end up in the weeds, or both. I'm not saying that to belittle him. Rather, I'm using it as a prime example of just how quickly things can and will go bad up there. Had he not been last in line, he would have caused an accident.

I want to see at least 100' between cars while we're up there, and I want you to pay attention to what the person in front of you is doing. If you don't feel you can safely keep up, pull over and let the people behind you pass. If you want to bring a helmet, you can. I most likely will be wearing mine this time. Also, since we're going to spend more than one run (about a half hour each way) up there, I'd like to check everyone's vehicles out to make sure there are no incidents. Excessive, maybe, but in my ~8 years of hosting VT meets, I've never had an accident. 'Meth's spin was the worst that's ever happened, and I'd like to keep it that way. I also look at it like this- the type of driving we'll be doing on this road is the same type of driving you'd find at an open track day, so why not inspect the vehicles?

I don't have a problem with excessive speeding. All I'm trying to say is that we REALLY need to be careful.

VERY well said

everyone that plans to attend should go read that again

i would also like to point out that we will NOT be the only ones on this road
PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT IS GOING ON AROUND YOU
there is traffic moving in both directions
there are slow moving cars just commuting over the mountain
there are other people racing over the mountain (plenty of wich are better drivers than you and will be going a hell of a lot faster than you)
there are people on motorcycles
there are people on mountain bikes and such
people come from a few states away to hit this road
people come from canada to hit this road

it is a badass road.... but it is a VERY tough road

braking and handling is definatly 2 of the most important things
the corners are sick and brake fade could land you in the hospital or worse

if your suspension is not in prime condition DONT HIT THIS ROAD
if your brakes are not in prime condition (preferable upgraded) DO NOT HIT THIS ROAD

this is not the place to try to prove you are superman

Originally posted by Airjockie@Apr 27 2004, 01:38 AM
plus...drifting an AE86 is 5000 times harder to do than a 240sx...why do you think there were so many 240's...... :roll:

5000 times more difficult? Where's the tech on that number Clayton? lol. In regards to there being more 240sx's at the drift events, isn't it more that AE86's are so much more UNCOMMON a car? <_<

they are very common.....in an SR5 or coupe form.....the hatch DOHC form is very limited....and getting rare as hell....glad I got one, but I had to make it myself with a lot of help from all the buddies who did help... :)

Well for me and most people, an AE86 would be your DOHC hatch, not the SR5 or coupe form...... that is the true Initial D fantasy. And you know how I love reading the auto classifieds and the car boards (lol @owning 3 cars at once), so I see that there are many many more 240sx's than AE86's out there. Most people don't have the skills or support to build their own AE86 like you did. So I really feel that you are wrong and in the US, AE86's are a scarce vehicle. So that is really why there were so many 240sx's at that drift meet.

now that spring has risen, ive seen a flavorful amount of s13s in the area. some of them even rev on brie. :roll: one of them even rolled down a window and asked why a girl is driving a car with adjustable shocks. if they only knew.

there are 2 sr5 hatchies in town, one is white the other is grey both look restored, but sound like shit. im guessing they are still carbed.

all in all, i do like the ae86, almost more than i like the 240sx. maybe if i had a 240 with a sr or ca swap... instead of that huge refuckintarded boat motor they put in there i would enjoy working on the car more to even care what happens to it. when the alternator went that last time, i knew for sure that i wasnt working under the hood of that car unless drastic changes were made - and its on its way. the only thing i DONT like about your 86 is the lack of that cool bmw-ish spoiler, and the interior. if it was a little up to date id have to get one myself. too bad the next gen corollas werent RWD :(

im hoping to have my dsm brake swap on by the meet. there are just a few things in line first that i havent gotten to yet.

Maybe I will pick up a set of new front rotors for the meet too... :blink:

Martine, if you're going to get some front brakes, I *HIGHLY* recommend Brembo blanks and Porterfield R4S pads. Go check out my "The price of ownership" thread and take a look at the pics of my Brembo/ R4S brakes after 30,000 miles...

I already have and they are underconsideration. However I got 200K miles out of my original rotors and I'm at 80K on this set... so the OEM ones have always treated me well. Have some thoughts about a GS-R upgrade on the Si, and my GS-R to get a Legend upgrade. So many decisions. lol.

hey loco, can you post up a link of what this mountain area looks like, or any personal picks???

would love to see this area

Shitty vids of me and my hatch, pre- boost days:
http://thenew.gamesbbs.com/~vassago/pictures/golf

And a composite map of the road:
17FULL.gif

Back