running a little rough

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lswhitecivic

VIP
Alright heres the thing, last thursday the speedometer on my 93 civic hb w/b18b starts wackin out bouncin all over the place. I think its vss and then i get a check engine light that confirms it. But over the weekend it started runnin a little rough but i get no other codes. Well today it threw a code 17 for vss and a code 43 for fuel supply system with makes sense cause it feels like im about to run out of gas all the time even though its full. My question is what would be the best thing to first check in the fuel system. What usually goes out more pump, injecters, fuel filter? Havent changed the fuel filter in a while so i think im gonna try that first and see what happens. Also if anyone has a vss from a 94 or newer integra pm me, i really dont feel like buying a new one from the dealership.

Thanks,

Ben

i would start with the fuel filter cause if you give it gas and it feels like it's gonna die i would say filter first

not only those but if ur fuel lines get to old and spungy they can cause an effect like that .. but yea fuel filter good spot to start if it was injectors you would feel the power drain at a certain point in ur rev. like a cut off , pump.. u aint starting heh

Well i changed the fuel filter today but that did nothing same problems. Its like only when I am in low rpms does it bog down like their is no fuel. So i dont know what to check next. I definitly know that it is running way rich cause i can smell it when i am stopped, plus my fuel gauge is going down faster than it usually does. Is their a possibility that the VSS and this could be related? I wouldnt think so but its weird that i went from having no problems at all to a vss on thursday to fuel problems on saturday.

Thanks,
Ben

Someone on another forum is telling me that a d-series vss will work on my b18b can someone confirm this? I could have swore i looked at my vss on my old cx tranny and it didnt even look the same. But maybe its mounted differently or something?

Thanks for any help.

Ben

Could your speedo sensor have gotten wet last wet? I thought that there were tornados and rough weather in CO a week ago. Anyway, getting it wet going while through a deep puddle years ago freaked out mine until it dried out on its own. Otherwise, eventually I had to replace it. Those plug connectors are very delicate, so be very careful when handling them. Check the inside of the plug on the wiring harness to make sure that it's not all corroded inside like mine became. My mechanics had to splice in a new plug for me too. And with erratic idle, after cleaning the iav and then adjusting the idle screw, replacing the pcv valve made my idle very happy and smooth. So those are my thoughts on this question.

if you're any good with running fuel lines, I'd do that next, if it's rough idle you might want to check vacuum.

Check your plugs too, if they appear gummy/gunky that would indicate a rich condition, if they are charred and your gap has decreased/increased, or even the tip is starting to wear, that would show a lean condition.

Its not a real rough idle, its just i can tell that is is running a little off which I am pretty sure is from running rich. I changed the vss and got the speedo working again but the fuel issues are still there. I just change the plugs at the end of August so i don't know how much my plugs will be able to tell me. I read on Honda-Tech that someone who was getting a code 43 called the dealership and they said usually code 43 is a bad o2 sensor, but a bad o2 sensor shouldn't cause a car to run rich should it?

Ben

Changed the o2 sensor tonight, but that did nothing. I dont see why the fuel lines would cause it to run so rich. I usually fill up once every couple weeks and ive filled up twice in a week and a day. So im stumped i don't know do but this shit is pissing me off. I cleared out the codes so i could see if im still getting the code 43 or if im getting any other codes.

Thanks for any help

I FINALLY figured it out. I actually had two sensors with problems that were causing the motor to run rich and idle weird. First the water temperature sensor was jacked up and sending way false readings to the ecu, which caused the ecu that run way to much fuel. I did the math and the water temp needed for the ecu to put the right amount of fuel in was at like -40 degrees. But that wasen't it, i also noticed on the scope that the map sensor was flatlinig at idle making it look like there was no vacuum. So i thought well the map sensor is bad but i checked it and it was still working properly, turned out in the throttle body under where the map sensor goes in was plugged. Sprayed some carb cleaner and scrubbed with a wire brush and it running good now.

Ben

so did changing your 02 help at all?
on my b18 swapped civic i am getting a code 43 and a code 1. i'm gonna replace the O2 sensor and try cleaning out from under my map sensor.

Back