running lean

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ok i swapped in a vtec head into my 98 civic a month ago and everything was fine, but now i got a check engine light and the code was 45, which is "to lean or to rich", so i bought a Air/fuel gauage , then hooked it up and it was all the way to lean, then i took out my spark plugs, and they were blistery white which equals lean mixture! So i checked my o2 sensor and everything checked out fine (Voltage, ohm,) Then i replaced my fuelfilter....Then pulled out my fuel rail, checked that! Then i checked my injectors, those checked out fine too. Then i checked my fuel pressure thats fine too. My ignition and mechnical timing is also good too

What else am i forgetting, did anyone have a problem of running lean like this before???

I'm using the stock lx ecu. And i used a rpm switch for the vtec. But i only used a rpm switch, because if i would of used the ex ecu then i would of have to install a knock sensor , or else i would get a code. I just called honda and asked for injectors and they were $111 a piece, well any way i asked if the lx and ex were the same ,and i asked were the part numbers the same he said NO, and i asked if they looked the same,he said they look exactly the same, but he didn't now the fuel flow rate on them, does anyone now where i can get those kind of specs!

I don't now but this is pissing me the fuck off, i'll probably try a ex ecu, or maybe the injectors.

are your vac lines hooked up right?maybe the ecu doesnt think your getting enough air to add more fuel.im gonna get my repair book and ill let you know what it says..how does your car run?

get the EX ecu. Run the knock sensor. Or buy a VTEC controller, you can control the fuel there.

the fuckin thing runs like nothing is wrong, it runs so smooth. and i haven't got the check engine code yet since i clearded the ecu. As of right now i'm only relying on my air/fuel gauage itcould be fucked up, but who nows!! what i'm going to do is hook up my gauge to my friends crx and see what it reads, if itworks fine then that means i'm still running lean!!!

Well i did some searching and the injectors are the same on all 96-00 civics, and fuel flow rate is the same , and the fuel pressure is the same on all civics, (28 to 36 psi). The whole fuel system is basically the same. The only thing i think might be differnt from the ex ecu is maybe the fuel map, maybe it keeps the injectors on a little longer for more fuel, but still thats an assumption. But if i do find a ex ecu on ebay i wil probably just buy it and see if it makes a diference!

Back