Running OBD 1 or 2 engines OBD 0?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

luciusad2004

Im looking to replace my LS with a newer LS and I was wondering if it's ok to run an obd I or obd II LS engine as an OBD 0 engine or should I convert to a later OBD?

The giant Swap info thread says you can run them OBD 0 by using an OBD 0 ECU and dizzy (wich I already have running my current LS engine. Is this really an optimal way to run the engine or would I have to have my ECU remapped.

I ask because it seems really easy to find OBD II LS engines as opposed to older OBD 0 engines. Plus a newer engine is more likely to have less miles on it.

Thanks for any input.

engines aren't really any obd... it's the electronics that are. You can pretty much jsut re-use your intake manifold and all your old sensors for the most part,

Yeah exactly. Although I know the OBD1 LS motors use better cams and a better ECU map and make about 10 horse more if you're willing to convert it.

But it wont necessarily hurt the motor to run it with my OBD 0 equipment?

I'm just looking to get something and rebuild it to stock specs and make a nice reliable (but still fun) daily for myself with some weekend autox possibly in the summer (non-competitively, I just want to do it for fun). Plus I want the learning experience of rebuilding a motor.

I have looked in to the OBD I conversion and it doesn't look terribly difficult. I would just have to convert the plugs for an OBD 1 dizzy, get a jumper harness for the OBD I ecu and wire for a four wire O2 sensor?

Back