Running Problem Cold

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

John89

Wanna be speed demon.
Yet agian I post because of something minor..
My car runs like crap when I first start it, I have let it set and idle for a while I thought that might have been the problem but it didnt work so far how I "cure it" is run it at about 6,000 RPMs on 1st and 2nd gear down a hil near my house when your runnning you will feel/hear it try to kick in and eventualy it will but Im tired of looking like an idot doing it so.... Any Ideas? (Ill put a little more gas in it today to see if that is what the problem is and if it is I need suggestions for it too if possible.)
My car: '89 civic hatcback D15B2 Dual point injected
Thanks for Helping.

when is the last time you changed the oil and oil filter?

A couple month back. I never even thought of that. Ill give that a shot when I can.

Okay sounds good, I let it set a long long time and idle to see if it would start running right again after warm up and it will but only after holding the gas down about 1/4 of the way for a little while you will hear it start putting and then after that it will be perfect. (Kinda lol)

After you start it and it dies, check the spark plugs. Here's what to do:

If they look good, IE: between grey and brown, post again.

If they're all black, that's a problem of lack of air/too much fuel. Check your air filter. Check to make sure nobody stuffed anything in your exhaust pipe. Then check your idle control screw, throttle body butterfly valve, then check the idle control valve, then check your cold start valve.

If they're brown, it's a problem of lack of fuel/too much air (stuck idle valve). Run some injector cleaner, check the fuel pump, check the fuel pump's filter, then replace the fuel filter. If that doesn't solve it, try some new injectors, or a new FPR and/or fuel rail.

Note, only go on to the next step if the previous one doesn't do anything, or checks out OK.

Sidenote: It sounds like it may be related to one of the warmup/idle valves. Try cleaning them.

I will look up all that in my maunual, but by black stuff do you mean carbon? .. If so im fu**ed. I try to keep em clean of that but I never thought of it to be the prob Ill check into it thanks.

Try checking your throttle cable and make sure there isn't too much slack in the line. Don't make it too too tight either.

Back