running rich i think

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

brittdee1207

hello everyone... I have a 96 teggy ls with greddy exhaust, aem cai, aem fuel rail, aem fuel reg, dc header, venom, and I just installed a BBK throttle body. Ever since I installed it I have a little smoke coming out of the exhaust and it smells rich (like gas).. it runs great with great response. The sensors seem fine but I don't understand. I tried dropping the fuel pressure to 42psi cuz when i switched to the new throttle body it went up to 48-49psi... what can I do?? I have no idea and I don't want some shop to screw me over... thanks mucho:confused: the size of the tb is 70mm

The only reliable way to tell if you are running rich is to hook up a wideband oxygen sensor. Anything anyone else tells you is merely speculation HOWEVER, as a general rule of thumb, Black smkoe is lots of fuel, white smoke is coolant, and blue smoke is oil.

Are you running a catalytic converter?

yes I have a cat and the black smoke is only a little.. but it spits out some black residue.... I tried cleaning the throttlebody and the sensors then the check engine light went away... but it still smells like gas... and now just noticing that there is a stutter when I try to travel at a set speed... like a putting noise but when Im accelerating its great... i don't know.. could it be my fuel filter? I have no idea.. gonna take it to a shop just to get this fixed, hope it doesn't cost me..

If your ignition timing is off, that can cause a stutter while driving at a constant speed...

Have the shop check that as well.

Back