Running Shoes/Inserts

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Kanned

Beast
I was just wondering what shoes and/or inserts any of you use. I used to have an awesome pair of Asics and hard plastic inserts, but I can't remember exactly which ones =P. While lifting 4 days a week and noticing a large gain in strength, I've realized that I don't see a point to being big if your cardio can't handle anything fun for very long. While not that impressive, I used to run 3 miles in under 30 minutes without exhaustion, but that was 2 years ago. I didn't realize how bad I have gotten until I ran 2 miles in 23 minutes and felt like I was going to have a heart attack.
Anyhow, I got an average set of Nike's for now until I get back into it. Here they are...
Nike Air Run Dual D II Running For Men Product Information
I just need to find a nice set of inserts now. I remember going through quite a few before finding the right one. It's tough for me because I have flat feet.

I wear asics gel nimbus'. Good way to spend 130 bucks on shoes. I also have super feet inserts. Another 50 bucks.

I run 1.5 miles on lift days, 4 days a week, and 3 days a week a range from 3-7 miles, depending on the weather. I always involve hills and such, and rarely run on grass, so unfortunately I hit a lot of pavement. On lift days, its on an indoor track, so rarely do I have any leg fatigue or back fatigue in the first mile before I get a runner's high, but that is with HIIT.

I have very very flat feet. If I don't have arch supports or orthodics in whatever I use, my back kills me in minutes.

I don't recommend anything from nike for serious running. They all have horrible forefoot suspension and well ruin your back in years.

Not to dog on you, but you're younger than me, but you should seriously run more. You might not be "out of shape" but those times are horrible. It takes training and dedication but there is no reason ANYONE, even I with asthma can't run a 7 minute mile. A couple times a week of running and self pacing will get you up and going well.

Kind of makes me want to get up early and run a 10.... If the weather's nice. :)

haha, i'm sorry man, but 2 miles in 23 minutes? you must smoke. slammed is right. you should be running 7 minute miles.

for inserts, make sure you can remove the insoles on your athletic shoes. when you are shopping for a new pair of shoes, i know new balance is good for flat feet.

Runnersworld guide to your foot type and running needs

sorry for picking on you. i know how it is to be out of shape. good luck with the workout.

saucony > *

ProGrid Hurricane 9

I've had the Hurricane 5's for years I only wear them for training running, not a daily worn shoe, they are by far the most comfortable shoe I've ever owned

Amazon has them listed for $115

Shoes:

Nike airmax 180 currently, the Pegasus are the best I've ever ran in

Insoles:

Those green and yellow ones at footlocker (about $20)

I'm running again tonight, working my way back up to 4 miles, 3X a week. Remember to stretch after working our to release toxins that build up while you work out. Then drink water. If you're just getting back into running stretch the arch of your foot and your calves before you run.. Those always hurt the worst...

Last edited:
haha, i'm sorry man, but 2 miles in 23 minutes? you must smoke. slammed is right. you should be running 7 minute miles.

for inserts, make sure you can remove the insoles on your athletic shoes. when you are shopping for a new pair of shoes, i know new balance is good for flat feet.

Runnersworld guide to your foot type and running needs

sorry for picking on you. i know how it is to be out of shape. good luck with the workout.

New Balance is great for flat feet. They're not too expensive either, but aren't either a "high Performance" running shoe, or atleast in my eyes.

Most of my friends that run cross country and track (college style at 130 miles a week) run with either asics, saucony, new balance, or brooks. Most are asics and brooks.

Personally, I wouldn't even run with nike's on, or far atleast. They're under sized, have no perception of a gait cycle and the air bed's created are crap the minute they puncture. Also, the shox are great for heel support and suspension, but have zero forefoot suspension so you must rely on using your heel, and literally if you hit a hill(which I do) your heel never touches the ground.

Thanks for the constructive criticism and references guys.

The reason why I didn't run more than three miles is because I fractured my ankle in the exact same place three times in under 2 years and was told to take it extremely easy for an entire year because I was developing a vertical fracture. I didn't run as much or as fast as I wanted to, so I kept it at three miles at a set speed that ended me around 25 minutes. Hence the "under 30 minutes reference". As for my cardio sucking like whoa atm, when I began to give up on running, I also began smoking pot all the time. Also, my entire family has smoked since I can remember.
I ran a mile today after my work out today and it took me 9.5 minutes ='(. I'm just going to stick to it and gain what I want. I'm physically fit, but having horrible cardio blows big time. I'm not worried about my dedication, I've set a goal to run a seven minute mile by the first of June if I have to die doing so.
As for my shitty shoes, I hate Nike's. I agree with you entirely about New Balance, Slammed. I couldn't have said it better myself. The best shoe and most recommended shoe for me is Asics. I'm simply sold on them, they're fantastic. These shoes are temporary until I reach my deadline and I'll buy a new pair if not a little sooner.

I haven't ventured very far into the land of shoes - my feet seem to be pretty narrow for my size or at least that's how I feel about it. I usually wear a size 11 adidas for the extra 1/2-3/4" of room up front, but my foot is like 3-3/4" wide (maybe a touch under 4"). From what I remember most other shoes feel like I'm wearing Vans or shoeboxes.

I cant ever seem to find good shoestores wherever I'm at and would like to find something online sometime.

When I was running track, all the long distance runners used Asics and the sprinters were almost all on Nikes. Right now I'm running on a pair of Nike Frees and Air Max 180s.

my love of saucony comes from my days as a cross country runner.

I actually saw quite a few people at this weekend's triathlon running in Nike Frees.
That's unusual to me. A good friend's mother(Basically my mom) teaches quite a few cardio classes at the gym I go to, and everyone everywhere hates on Nike's =P I just never seem to see them on serious runners. Pretty much all Asics and Saucony's.

To update, my mile time has decreased by an entire minute already and I'm enjoying running again. The Nike's aren't great, but they're fine for now until I prove to myself that I won't quit. Although, my flat ass feet are causing problems without inserts... I kinda need them. If this rate of improvement continues, I'll be at my 7 minute goal in no time. Do I sense an 8 minute mile within 2 weeks?

Dude. If you push yourself hard enough. There is no reason you can't hit a 7 minute mile next time you go out.

It's such a feasible time. It just hurts the first few times until you get used to the pace.

Yeah, there is a reason =(. I still have problems with my ankles. While one is minor, the other is still at risk(The one I stated in my previous post). I want to comfortably run a 7 minute mile, not push myself to the point of being extremely lightheaded and possibly stumbling, tripping, or anything else that could cause damage. And yes, I have a higher probability of stumbling/tripping after fucking up my ankle.

I like the Nike Reax...fairly new. I bought a pair and fell in love with the way they feel while running

That's unusual to me. A good friend's mother(Basically my mom) teaches quite a few cardio classes at the gym I go to, and everyone everywhere hates on Nike's =P I just never seem to see them on serious runners. Pretty much all Asics and Saucony's.

:shrug2:

Different areas and different preferences I guess. Me and my track buddies have always loved our Nikes. Quite a few are on Asics, Sauconys and New Balances, but the heavy heel strikers are all on Nikes.

Another vote for gel aisics. And screw inserts. Buy shoes that fit in the first place. Inserts just mess up the weight and breathability of the shoe.

I have a pair of Adidas Thrasher 2 shoes for trail / course. Holy crap they are nice. Super grippy and light. I think I could run up a wall with them.

Last edited:
New balance 993s are my walking go to. I don't run much but they work well for me for that too. I just wish the soles lasted longer.

darren-millars-6th-birthday-29th-february-2008.jpeg

Back