Running very rough

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

psychaosx

Ok so recently I put a f23 in my 95 accord, the original engine was a f22b2 SOHC NON-Vtec, this is a SOHC Vtec. When we first finsihed the swap my head gasket blew out 5 minutes down the road and now that thats replaced my car runs like complete shit. First off the motor wont hold an idle it dies when you let off the throttle and when you do give it gas, the check engine light comes on until you let off. Flooring it will get you to about 2500 or 3000 the rpms jump all over and wont pass that. My friend said it was the main relay, so I took it out and resoldered all the points, but that didnt change anything. Also if it makes any difference the distributor that came on the motor is a internal, and since its an obd2 motor and my car is obd1 I couldn't use it so I put the external coil one form my motor on. I got a video if it running for a couple seconds and if anyone could give me a little help on anything that would be awesome!

YouTube - Engine
(Im flooring it btw in the video)

If your talking about the cam timing, my friend said it was fine when we checked it. And what happened was the engine ran fine, blew the gasket, bought a new one took the head off put that shit in. Drained the entire system, took off the water flange thing off the front and ran a bunch of water through it to clean that, then ran a quart of oil through the system with the filter and bolt out just to clean it up.

wat i would do is redo the timing. when u do b sure to put cyl #1 at TDC. there should be the word "up" on the timing gear. the other thing i would check for if the car jumped timing would be to make sure that the piston and the valves r not hittin eachother and or the plugs. when u put the new gasket on did u make sure all the holes lined up correctly? ie: water passages etc. wen u did the motor swap, are u still useing the original ecu or the one for tht motor? im not sayin tht the ecu has nething to do with it but at the same time tht could b the issue, and it may or may not thro a code. one other thing tht it coould b...not very likely buut...wat kind of plugs are u useing. unless its high performance i would stick with the NGK plugs. also check ur distributor and rotor.

Its the original ecu and distributor, but they worked fine before the gasket blew. Im using NGK plugs and I had someone with me who has worked on car for a long time when we put the gasket in so pretty sure the head gasket is aligned right

hmmm could possibly b a leak somewhere in the gasket or something...just an idea...well keep us posted on how it goes. tell us if anything else pops up etc. good luck.

Last edited:
Back