Russia has a new stealth fighter plane

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

They have always fascinated me. I've heavily researched air combat aircraft & techniques from all theaters, wwii thru present.

Imho we are approaching the point where being in an airplane, during wartime, anywhere on the globe is a dumb idea.

I agree 100% with you there haha.

I have always been intrested in all things military/conflict releated. I had a poster of the M.E. hanging on my wall in '91 during Desert Storm, I was 5. I knew who the Serbs and Kurds where all that jazz. I really dont know to much about war planes. I have followed the debate about the f22 with some intrest however.

I just read a lot of books, watch the Military Channel/documenteries and talking to friends that have/are deployed. Not only is it cool stuff to read about it helps me figure out who is blowing smoke and fear mongering in Washington. So when things like a 5th gen fighter comes out of Russia I have a better idea if I should shit myself or shrug it off.

At the end of the day, for every advanced missle developed, an equally advanced counter measure will also develope.

There will always be a "non-guided linear weapon" such as a gun or lazerbeam on every manned combat aircraft up until the day we stop manning our fighters.

Sukhoi's 4.5 gen designs with 3d thrust vectoring & canard wings are more maneuverable than the f22.

It looks like this new fighter will not have the same maneuverability as the 4.5 gen SU37 (or even the SU30MKI), however it does appear to have a much stealthier design.

i thought the F22 was "limited" because it was able to pull more G's the the human body could take.. if thats the case, how can something possibly be more maneuverable then that?

I'm sure it's pretty hard to dogfight with planes capable of ridiculous speed(refer to the G comment). If anything, fight or flight, and you were out of missiles, it would probably be flight.

I've also talked to some pilots, even WWII veterans, and they say dog fights aren't exactly what everyone thinks it is. You usually have only one chance to shoot them down when you guys are flying towards each other. It was rare to be pursued or pursue someone unless you were protecting other planes, vice verse.

That said, giving the plane dog-fighting capabilities is a good idea but it shouldn't be top priority; especially if the goal is stealth. You're not getting into a dog fight unless they have a visual on you or your stealth sucks. And, by the time they have a visual, you're usually flying past them at a pretty high rate of speed.

+1 on A10. I love that plane! When I was younger and tried building those Revell plastic models, only ones I were interested in were the A-10 and the AH64. The A10 model wasn't balanced though(the tail was heavier than the nose so it would tilt up). Fuck Revell.

Last edited:
i thought the F22 was "limited" because it was able to pull more G's the the human body could take.. if thats the case, how can something possibly be more maneuverable then that?

The F22 is capable of performing maneuvers with “2D” (two dimentional) thrust vectoring assistance along the pitch axis.

Planes like the SU-37 offer “3D" thrust vectoring along both pitch and yaw.

Here’s a good vid explaining what this can do to an airplane’s behavior:

*Note. SU37 is an SU35 Variant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7W5kK6p85o&feature=related

To see 3D Thrust Vector Capable Engines up Close, Click to 1:45 of This next vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeiqMn7xb_Y&feature=related

Last edited:

Honestly, this is the most important point:
"There is no mission and no adversary for such plane," Konovalov said

What role does a stealth plane play in an insurgency?

Quite a bit. B2 during Desert Storm?

As Drake stated, maneuverability is damn near moot with the F22. It supposedly has a radar signature of a small bird, and the radar it puts out will track a target before its even in viewing range of the pilot.

:)

**note to anyone who might have something to do with that project**
dont go fucking it up and turning it into a damn joint strike plane or some other gay shit (the F-35 is NOT an acceptable replacement)

:ph34r: ;)

Um ok... all I said was the F22 will track targets before even remotely being anywhere near danger. I seriously doubt it'll come down to gun fighting ever, because Russia won't be attacking the US anyway. Close combat dog fighting with guns died after WWII.

:)

I am all for "Big War" machines that wasnt what I was trying to say. I think the F22 on several levels is a great idea but we need to factor in our current needs as well. Which is where the A-10 update comes into play. I just dont see dog fighting being economical for either side soon. I mean if it doesnt show up on radar who can afford to spend hundreds of hours using human eyes to find one?

F-22 is gone. No more beyond what's already purchased. Period.

And if the Russians really are catching up to us as far as stealth and such shouldnt we be working on a much more advanced radar system? I am sure we do have one of the best in the world but quantifing the value of an assest based on a low probability situation is not a wise move.

They're not, don't worry... and we are.

Hell maybe Russia will end up spending itself to death on gold plated projects like we are. Then dog fighting will be out dated.

Already are, already is.

I am really interested in seeing what happens with laser tech.

:ph34r:

I'm still waiting for the day we come out with Star Wars esque laser guns.

:ph34r:

:nod:

Boeing YAL-1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Boeing: Missile Defense Systems - Airborne Laser (ABL) Home

ABL.jpg

haarp > missile defence.

missile defence is just a cover.

Its a good thing haarp is powered by natural gas generators and is situated over a HUGE nat gas reserve in Alaska.

Nick Begich has testified before the European Commission on Haarps capabilities. There are various interviews with Bernard Eastlund (haarp patent original owner) before he died in 2007 on the internet.

Desert Storm was not an insurgency. That was a big war. And the opening days of OIF was a big war. When was the last time we fired up a B2 for an op in Iraq? Like I said, its an amazing plane and we will be better served to pick it up. But planes like the A-10 fill a role that in my opinion is in higher demand.

in the video they said "kept secret" my ass, my dad told me about this plane like a year ago

600 whoooo.....dont hate all you with thousands

I heard this about a year ago too(may have been earlier). But, what we don't know, is how long they had this technology to begin with.

planes like the A-10 fill a role that in my opinion is in higher demand.

They are dumping the A-10 in a few years. Which I believe is bullshit. I grew up on an A-10 base, I've seen what they are capable of.. Totally amazing stuff. And they are damn "everything" proof.

Back