Russia has a new stealth fighter plane

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Robots were observed doing exactly as they were programmed to do.

Hell if they think the cost over runs in aerospace are bad they need to look at naval yards. Those assholes cannot tighten a bolt in a reasonable time.

Being the Sec. Def. has got to be one of the hardest jobs in this country. Has the DoD released their future threat assessment yet? I want to get ahold of that and look it over.

Hell if they think the cost over runs in aerospace are bad they need to look at naval yards. Those assholes cannot tighten a bolt in a reasonable time.

Being the Sec. Def. has got to be one of the hardest jobs in this country. Has the DoD released their future threat assessment yet? I want to get ahold of that and look it over.

In college I did some work at Wright Patterson AFB. The air force employs 4x the actual number of contractors that they need. The pace of work is slow as hell, and the amount of waste is appalling. Why buy a fitting for $10 bucks at ace hardware when you can wait 2 weeks get a custom machined one for $700? If the government really wanted to save some money they would audit their programs and reward cost savings.

This is why I will never support the government running of any major facet of our economy.

In college I did some work at Wright Patterson AFB. The air force employs 4x the actual number of contractors that they need. The pace of work is slow as hell, and the amount of waste is appalling. Why buy a fitting for $10 bucks at ace hardware when you can wait 2 weeks get a custom machined one for $700? If the government really wanted to save some money they would audit their programs and reward cost savings.

This is why I will never support the government running of any major facet of our economy.

Actually, there are quite a few reasons why you don't want to go to the hardware store for a fitting vs getting one that passes military level qualification. All you have to do is look at the high standards that the government wants everything built to... you do NOT want to trust the integrity of something like a fighter jet to something made by the lowest bidder and with no traceability.

As far as hiring 4x the contractors- that needs to be revised. We see the effects at work too- the contracts require a certain headcount, we hire a ton of people, some work while some don't, contract nears end and lots of people get laid off. That's why I'm glad I'm not on the aircraft side of the business even though the product is a lot more exciting (at least on the surface) than what I build.

I see what you are saying. The application was for an experiment running 90 psi of compressed air... No reason a quality store bought piece couldn't satisfy a one time use experiment. Another example is the sheer amount of solid works licenses they have. My boss had one for his work PC, one for his work laptop, and one for his home laptop. Any idea how much each license runs for a seat with all the bells and whistles?

Part of the issue to is all of the crazy ass laws that come along with acquisition that the federal government has to abide by. Congress wants to be able to account for every single penny.

I see what you are saying. The application was for an experiment running 90 psi of compressed air... No reason a quality store bought piece couldn't satisfy a one time use experiment. Another example is the sheer amount of solid works licenses they have. My boss had one for his work PC, one for his work laptop, and one for his home laptop. Any idea how much each license runs for a seat with all the bells and whistles?

Ok, for that reason a store fitting would have worked fine- unless they wanted a MIL-spec representative fixture/tool/whatever.

Solidworks might have an enterprise license deal. Quite a few software companies do with the large companies- the company pays one HUGE fee every year to maintain all of its licenses but has free reign over how many they actually use. One way the major programs work is to have a license server- every single computer can have the program installed, but only a certain number of licenses can be in use at one time. That way you can have 2000 machines with the same program on it, but only 100 will work at once. That's how the UT mechanical engineering labs were set up- 50 licenses for about 300 machines. If a 51st machine tried to fire up Solidworks, it would just get an error that said there weren't any licenses available.

The F22 is capable of performing maneuvers with “2D” (two dimentional) thrust vectoring assistance along the pitch axis.

Planes like the SU-37 offer “3D" thrust vectoring along both pitch and yaw.

Here’s a good vid explaining what this can do to an airplane’s behavior:

*Note. SU37 is an SU35 Variant

To see 3D Thrust Vector Capable Engines up Close, Click to 1:45 of This next vid
the Su-37 was always a PITA to shoot down in ace combat 04....

No... the people on here who know me know where I work. There's no way I couldn't have heard of the C-130.

Back