Rust Issues

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

VTECPOWER

I have some rust on the 88 crx. What should I do about this? Sand it down and replace it with metal? I have access to a welder and people that can weld. The rust is where the spare tire is, like also in the rear panel under the tail lights but down low. Or should i sand it down and do a bondo job?

if its something you want to last, then your gonna want to cut out the section of rust (roughly an inch and a half around the visible portion, to assure getting it all) and get some sheetmetal and weld that in its place. Then grind down your welds and mud over the patch. sand smooth and prime and paint. I would reccomend using fiberglass filler first then regular plastic filler because fiberglass is waterprof and will aid in the lasting of the patch job.

So after welding the metal and grinding the welds use bondo over top of that? I think that is what I plan on doing, i know a guy who is a good welder and he should be able to do that for me, because i would like this rust to be gone.

Yep,
weld in your patch
grind the area you welded down flush with the substrate/panel with 36 grit and also the surrounding area
apply some duraglas (the fiberglas/ filler driver mentioned)
Sand with 80, then 180-220 grit
spray primer surfacer
sand with 320
seal
spray base
spray clear
Half those steps you could avoid if the area you are fixing the rust isnt visible.

Yea, this rust you will not be able to see from the outside, it is located near the spare tire, and where the back seat WOULD be in a crx. So i'm not too worried about looks, as it will be covered up.
EDIT:
LOL
So would you like to give me the steps since it won't be visible?
Also what gauge sheet metal should i use? This will be in the floor pan section but not where it will be under much load.

22 gauge sheet metal is fine....which is what they will give u if you buy a sheet from your local napa or whatever, if its not visible and it doesnt bother you then just have yuor buddy weld it on and grind the welds, fiberglass over it maybe sand a little and then just undercoat it. This is what i would do unless your real concerned with every portion of the car looking factory

Back