RUST PREVENTION AND REMOVAL HELP

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

evilgsr

I have a 96 gsr with overall good body and paint, i have no major rust spots but there are a number of small nicks on the roof and doors that have developed what appears to be surface rust (about a 1/2 pencil eraser sized area). What is the best way to go about repairing this, is it ok to just clean the area with alcohol and dab some touch up paint over it to prevent the spread of rust or do i need to actually sand off the rust and then paint over it? There are a 1000 different sites about this that I've found but they've all pointed me in slightly different directions; I'm just trying to figure out whats worked best for everyone.. thanks

sandblast the or sand the rust down to bare metal
apply any body filler, glazing putty etc.
sand to contour
wipe it down with some wax and grease remover
blow it off with compressed air (if available)
apply some sort of self-etching or epoxy primer
apply sandable primer surfacer
sand
wipe it down with some wax and grease remover
blow it off with compressed air (if available)
then get the panels resprayed or touch up the spots

As far as preventing rust go to any body shop supply store and ask for seal out, it's shit colored grease that you spray into the bottom of your doors and inbetween panels to stop rust. There is also sprayable wax corrosion protection that works pretty slick. If your ghetto use a lil 5w30 :blacksmile:

Back