RWD civ hatch Q's

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

78civic

Wasn't exactly sure where to ask this but, for the ones that have successfully done a rwd hybrid, Can the later 93+ prelude drivetrain be shifted (by cables of course) from a shifter in a pretty much stock position? (SO, the shifter and cables would route from the rear/side back up to where a shifter would normally reside between the seats up front.

I have a bud that's got a wrecked 93 prelude si and could adapt it into a 86 civic hatch or a older 78 1200 that I have the older fiberglass flares for.
I also remember seeing a honda drivetrain in a Ariel Atom looking vehicle. And even asked them of their linkage, but got the "we're still in the development stage".
And have owned a few Porsche 914's and always was fascinated by how it shifted like that.

So if anyone knows GOOD information or links to see if this is going to be worth it or not.

Thanks E

Last edited:
I have always had the same question... Curious to see what kind of answers you get.. I also remember seeing a rwd integra with an h22 in it...

I imagine some pulley system could be fabb'ed so that the shifter is still the same movement in the car but goes the other way.

And, there's always the option to use an automatic

It would be interesting to have someone take pics of TOP or overhead view of the trans showing:
1st pic--linkage and cables in 1st gear
2nd pic--linkage and cables in 2nd gear and so on...
Oh, and it would need to show the shifter (without the console) in the corresponding gears also.

Could it be THAT simple??
Theoretically, as long as the shifter and trans 'arms' are in the same positions, it WOULD be in that corresponding gear..(?) RIGHT?

It might be a fun waste of time to find an accord in a pull-it yard, pull the console and shifter assy out, and bend the cables around, out front of the car to simulate the movements.
If it's only reversed (say, 1st would be to the right and up {or down for that matter} and R-would be to the right and down)

BUT, I'd really like to see the outer drive hubs and how they kept it all together AND held the alignment.

I wasted hours on youtube last night watching tons of vids, but some are soo old that the links are dead.

I have a whole eagle talon rear subframe and could use the outer hubs, and 'adapt' the axles... HHhhmmmm..

E

The way I think of it mentally is that beause of the shifter's pivot point, the movement is exactly opposite of what you do. Ie, up left is 1st, but because of the pivot point, that is actually down and right.

The easy solution is to take the pivot point out (actuate the cables on the current pivot) and send it the other direction (rear). But, the tranny will have the input for the cables on the wrong side (ie, back of the car) so you're going to end up with 5 reverse gears :/

So, you'll need to fab something in the rear of the car that takes the signal, translates it, and puts it in the back of the car, out towards the bumper, not in. It wil need to be a couple pulley sets mounted somehow like

rear .................. shifter.... front
<--------------------[]
|pulley
|
|
|pulley
|----->
.... tranny

Back