rwd civic ek4

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stevo-eg6

well i just bought a 98 civic sir hathback and i was tinking of making it rear wheel drive. i saw a thred here before wher someone was going putting a crv gearbox in to his car. i was tinking of welding up my diff and mounting a transfer box off an evo or scooby to it and modified the subrame to accomadate it. then the hard part is fitting a diff in the back and making mounts for the wish bones! its just an idea i would just like to know if that would work. if not is their any othe way? any help would be apreicated.

There is an easier and cheaper way...

...sell your Civic and buy a rear-wheel drive car.

There is no easy way to do this, and most likely you won't be satisfied with the finished product. If you're serious about this at all then start calling some customs shops and ask them about it. Unless you're an automotive engineer with serious fabricating skills this isn't something you can throw together in your garage over the weekend...

no im not using a crv gearbox il be using my own gear box .And a transfer box off a subaru and the rear diff .The ratio going in to the transfer box is right becaue in the subaru the drive going into the transfer box comes off the front diff which turns the front wheels. so i could make it 4wd rwd or fwd again! the hardest part is getting a shaft cut with the proper splines betwen the sir gear box and the transfer box. as for the back.as far as i know the rear subframe off a subaru is bolted on so i just cut out my rear subframe and bolt in the new one. and modify the shock towers. and also modify the front subframe to fit the transfer box. i have alot of it planned and i am going to do the work myself. i would just like to know if i forgotten any ting?

Since you've only got 2 posts, and no known background here... are you capable of doing this? Have you done very custom modifcations like this before?

There is soo much involved, since your literally going to have to position the new suspension setup to accomodate for rear axels and such.

Maybe you know this? Tell us a bit about yourself :)

RWD honda discussions ususally end up as garbage.

Yeah I just don't see the point. You've got an SiR, why mess with it? It was designed to be a decent-handling, decently quick front-drive car. If you want a car with RWD to mess around with go pick up an old Nissan or something, or just buy a cheap, crappy Civic with a bunch of miles on it to try this out on before you start hacking up your nice SiR...

And I've said this before to others but; If your hooked on the civic look, go get a Lexus IS300 and make it look like a civic. Practicly the same frame as a sedan, and RWD. Maybe if you wanted to be custom, you can modify an F20C to the IS drivetrain.

no im not using a crv gearbox il be using my own gear box .And a transfer box off a subaru and the rear diff .The ratio going in to the transfer box is right becaue in the subaru the drive going into the transfer box comes off the front diff which turns the front wheels.

:no2: Subarus have longitudinally placed transmissions and transfer cases. In other words they're setup like a 4 wheel drive truck. The transmission and transfer case are under the passenger compartment, and they use driveshafts to turn both the front and rear differentials. Also, Im not sure about the older ones, but I know the newer subbies have an electronicly controlled transfer case, so your gunna have to rig that control up too.

In conclusion, don't bother wasting money on this project. You're obviously not serious about it since you said you were just thinking about doing it. If you want Rwd power, don't try and get it from a Civic, there are a lot of cars out there that are better for that.

And if you were serious, you'd be taking measurements at the junkyard, not asking us :)

But I'm still in to see if your "qualified" for this custom work.

ok now dont hold me to this cuz i just herd it from a person i was talking cars with he said theres this black crx around here with a "modified accord??? drive train" of sorts.... and thats how he made his awd crx work........:huh: now thats not rwd but i would emagine if you can make a crx awd by doing that u can make a civic rear wheel by using that concept or something ? OR!!!!! did this guy blow a huge cloud of smoke up my ass?????????

ps if u cant understand what i just rote dont worry i cant either :eek:

was there ever an awd honda besides the crv???

Thats not the arguement at hand. The arguement is, does the OP have the ability to pull it off himself. Also, ppl are tryin to point out the fact thats its not worth it.

But, to answer your question yes it has been done.

ive seen awd, rwd,and motor in the back and front civics. and they still get it handed to them by the fwd version

It's obvious he has no knowledge, he keeps avoiding answering the question in his posts.

The biggest advantage Hondas have is power to weight ratio. Why go adding a bunch of shit that you dont need?

I wanna drift my civic!!! bawahahah...

The biggest issue is running the driveshaft to the rear wheels if you keep the engine in the front. I've seen a RWD integra that he ended up putting the engine in the rear to keep it simpler. But even then, do you have any idea how many tools and instruments he had to use to get the suspension geometry?... Crazy shit.

Anything can be done...with any amount of money and time. Limited time and money = limited things can be done. Yay for cause and effect.

To the OP, don't waste your time, just forget the idea now, it's not worth it, end of story.

Someone put a 350 in a CRX and converted it to RWD, IIRC

Back