RX7 Turbo-II vs. 280Z w/Ford 460

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

and then there is Auxilary....he's putting a rotory engine in a Z... :ph34r:

I know, I'm on Hybridz. I know all about the Z. I have one.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Jun 10 2005, 03:56 PM

LOL! Who's that old guy you were talking about awhile back that had a show on public access or whatever who would demand money while telling you you're going to hell? Made me think of that guy.

The honorable Dr. Gene Scott. Rest in piece.

Oh, and I found an '81 200SX for ya. The first ones with the fixed headlights and datsun badging. It's in perfect shape.
[post=510802]Quoted post[/post]​

81's are different, but similar. They didn't have the in-dash computer, talking packages or the brake-light indicators. The shifter boot sucks. The lights have these surrounds that while are appropriate, I simply prefer the 82-83s. It's gotta be a hatch with a speech package, indash computer and sunroof.

But thanks for looking !

->S

Here is my take on the two cars:

The RX7 is a beautiful engine, wrapped up in a really poorly built car. The construction materials are terrible, plastics are brittle and the control switches are flower-delicate. The transmissions are noisy and hot, and the electrical motors are obviously lowest-bidder-wins-the-contract. That said, the FC is a well balanced car that handles like a lotus.

The Z is a true sports car. While it was light in it's day, today it's a tank. I mean you can still drive it and flick it around, but its more "planted" like the Supra. The engine weighs as much as a fuckin battleship. The brakes are weak and under-worked. The HP is warm at best, and the balance is very ... I dunno.. oversteer heaven. When you hit the brakes you can feel the car rising from it's center of gravity, and getting very squirrelly on you. It's a hammer approach to chopping down a tree, whereas the RX7 is a proven Axe.

V8 swaps into the Z is common.. but .. why. Unless it's been your dream ... DREAM ... to drive a V8 powered Z, then you'll lose interest when you see all you have to do to make it fit. It's not just "get an adaptor kit". With a manufactured, measured and mass-produced kit, the swap costs alone, no engine or car, will run you to $3000. Or, you can fab everything yourself and have it take a year to complete. Either way, you'll leave the shop without a feeling of accomplishment and from what I've seen of you (the fact that you have told us about 40 times "I'm getting a new ________ car!") you won't finish the project.

Now the RX7, with a large turbo and proper tolerances / effort in design will yield fast results - results you can understand.

-> Steve

Note: I am biased to the RX7. I don't have a problem with, I just don't like Zs too much.

Yeah... I am a tad indecisive.

I've gotten a lot better though. If the T-II falls through I'll just continue with the Z and be happy either way.

Back