?'s about swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mrmoney232323

Im pretty new to Hondas and just recently had my 92 civic lx motor blow, im thinking about putting a d15b vtec into it but am wondering what all ill need like, which ecu, wiring harness?, old tranny should be fine...:confused:

Here we go again...

How much money do you want to spend?
Are you doing the work yourself?
What are you going to do with the car?

The options for a swap are endless. Ultimately, how fat your wallet is will decide what you should do with your car.

The internet is full of swap articles, as well as this site. Type in EG swap into any search engine, or our search bar, and you will find hundreds of thousands of results.

For that price range, I would look into the Z6 or the D15B. Both can probably be bought and installed for about that much...

I bought my 95 DX for $200 needing a motor. $500 got me a D16Z6 with the harness/ECU and a 5-speed trans and linkage all with ~80k miles on it. Bought a new clutch/flywheel from Autozone for around $150 and put it in. The only other "big" extra costs I can think of was the $60ish on new clutch hydraulics, $40ish on transmission seals/bearings, and the $55 conversion mount I needed because I went from auto to 5-speed. Of course this isn't necessary if you're staying with the same type of trans (auto-auto or 5spd-5spd)

Figure in another $100-150 or so for fluids, hoses, belts, plugs, wires, cap/rotor, etc.

Had it all done in a about a day and a half working by myself with limited tools. The hardest part for me was removing the shifter for the automatic and mounting the linkage in the tunnel and then running the clutch hydraulic lines. Again, most of the work involved for me was the trans swap part.

I'm no newbie to engine swaps though, have done dozens of third and fourth gen Camaro and Firebird engines and transmissions in the past.

Just look around it isnt hard to find a D15b or whatever else. Put some effort into it and you'll fond something...D series engines are everywhere

dude if i were you i'd get the same exact motor you had in it. direct drop and swap no bullshit. just cause your new 1.5 has vtec doesn't mean its going to be a lot faster. that motor was made for gas mileage as was the one that blew.

Yeah but the only engines I've found for direct replacements all seem to have around 150k+ miles on them :/, and I figured dropping in a v-tec wouldn't be too tough.

Back