S1 trans problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ChrisSiR

Maybe you guys can help me out with my transmission. i have the transmission out because i had some issues with getting the car in and out of gear, so... i pulled it into the garage, and went to tighten the clutch cable, well... i had noticed that the clutch lever (what the cable connects to) had ALOT of free play (an inch if not more) and i knew something was wrong, i pulled it apart, and found that the throwout bearing had broke, so... i replaced it with a new one (yes, i made sure it was the right one) well, the problem still existed, i thought maybe it was the clutch/pressure plate, so i borrowed a friends known good one and bolted it on, same results, i speced the fly wheel on the motor, and the two steps are within limit, and the cable is brand new with no stretches.... im at a loss, im not sure what else it could be? theres nothing bent or tweeked that i can visually see, im runnin out of idea's guys, and i surely miss my car..... so, any idea's or help would be great.....

thanks in advance

there is a rubber grommet type adjustment device usually on the center of the clutch type cable itself, try tightening it "higher adjustment", to see if engagement works, if not then possibly syncros??

I know its not in the cable, or the adjustment of it... and it could be synchro's.... but the problem im seeing is, that it takes 1-2 inches (when i pull up on the clutch lever) before the throwout bearing even touches the pressure plate, by the time it does reach it, theres only so much more travel for the arm to move up before it hits the transmission case, thus not disengageing the clutch and not allowing me to put it in gear.

Originally posted by pheonixb16aguy@Aug 12 2004, 01:13 PM
welcome to the most unreliable tranny ever... i would recomend saving your money and getting a ys1 or y1
[post=376019]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, thats not really an option right this second, considering i dont even know if the transmission is whats doing it.....

Anyone else have any idea's?

No, the freeplay is NOT normal...... .12 - .16 of an inch is normal free play, not 1 1/2 - 2 inches.... its not in the cable..... <_<

Back