S130 stronger than S30?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Battle Pope

What's everyone's take on the 280zx versus the 240/260/280z? For starters I know they're completely different cars. I see the Z as a sports car and the ZX as a GT car because of the size and weight difference.

What I'm wondering is people that have experience with one or both chassis, just how different are they? Not just in function and form, but quality and experience. I know the ZX is a more comfortable car for larger folks (like me), and I've been told the unibody is stronger. Can anyone confirm or deny? How about just some bullshit?

the interiors are a bit easier to deal with, but I drove my 82 back when I was a kid, and I've got the experience with Clayton's Z more than mine. The older Zs are darker and more sinister, and I prefer that at my age. The newer ones are brighter and kinder. Wiring the dash is also easier.

The crushed mouse-fur seats suck in the newer ones, and the resale value is in the shitter. The older Zs are only going up, I don't see them stopping.

Quoted post[/post]]
the interiors are a bit easier to deal with, but I drove my 82 back when I was a kid, and I've got the experience with Clayton's Z more than mine. The older Zs are darker and more sinister, and I prefer that at my age. The newer ones are brighter and kinder. Wiring the dash is also easier.

The crushed mouse-fur seats suck in the newer ones, and the resale value is in the shitter. The older Zs are only going up, I don't see them stopping.

That's why I have my '89 MR2 seats. I dunno, it's mostly a comfort issue. With the right styling cues I think I can make a ZX look mean. It's all in accessory choice. Being a sizable individual I can't see myself being comfortable in an S30 anymore. If I found a screaming deal I'd probably forget about that but as it stands I'm gunning for a ZX. I know about the resale value, but this isn't a car that I'm working on for investment.

Main concerns are interior quality/comfort, and driving habits. Good to hear about the dash wiring. I don't think there's a foot of good wiring in my '76.

Sure nissan didnt make them? who did then? either way it came from the factory with them so I dont care.

BTW datsun 280ZX had two different seats, one sucked

1035151494292_newseat2.jpg

however the one I had in my Z were great, they fit me like a glove.
2058950_10_full.jpg

350Z seats...

FrontSeats.jpg

Well, for my opinion....here it is.

The 240/260/280Z'z all had great classic styling, but were made in an era when Japan had poor quality steel. Rust is the death to many good Z's. But nowdays with welders and better materials...anything can be done to them. New frame rails are availble, along with floor pans, and if your good with metal working or composites...then they can be revamped into strong, durable, and hot cars. Some cars have faired well thru the years, and if you do find one where the framerails or floor pans have not rotted...then snag that car up, take everything off of it, fab up a rotisary, and blast the living f%^k out of it...get it back down to the raw steel, and repair what rust is there, and weld up some newer frame stiffining items you can think of...and paint, and slap the project back together. IT will add peace of mind, and also increase the life and value of the car.

As far as sitting in the Z's compaired to ZX's...When I had the stock seats in my Z, I had all the room from hell to sit, when I put in the Corbuaes, I lost a lot of room, but I can still fit somewhat decently in them...when I had a 280zx, i didn't have too much room, and it felt a little cramped. I'm 6'2"..so I a little taller than most people. Datsun specifically designed the car to fit an American that was 6' tall...it was one of their goals when they made the car. If you can, just get a re-foam and re-cover kit for the stock seats, freshen them up, and you'll like the outcome. Also, I've heard that CRX seats in a Z rock...I might attempt that if I get tired of my race seats.

As for wireing between the two, the Z will have less wires than the ZX's....and they are simple if you can get the correct wiring diagrams...I had to convert the 260Z wires with a hacked up 280Z wires...and that was the problem I had...but a little time, and they worked out good. The dashes in the older Z's come out decently, and everything is accessable when they are removed...the ZX's...are the nightmares...

For the swaps...anything can go into a Z, swapping in something into the ZX is a pain...less room.

For the power to frame ratio...if an old Z is fabbed right...it can take the power decently. They still are a very strong frame stock, but the main weak area's are the spots that are prone to rust. Fix the rust, and the car will be strong.

And aftermarket...Everything is out there for the Z cars...if it's not out there, then there is no need for it. ZX's have very little for aftermarket products, not a popular car to realy hook up like the Z car was. And by now you've had to have seen that parts and stuff for the Z cars are reasonably priced and are sometimes near dirt cheap, or given away....

In short, the Z car comes up as a winner. The limiting things are how deep your pockets are, how good are your mechanical abilities, and how wild you want it. :wink:

CRX seat in a Datsun Z

Clayton, that's all well and good but I don't want a 20,000 dollar garage ornament.

Mines not even $3Ks into it...and I've had it what over 3 years...

And it is not a garage ornament.... :mad:

It's lawn art. :p

:p

Point being I'm not in this for a frame-up restoration or anything. I just want something I can fool around with.

My car is a 1974....I've had it for 3 years, and I beat the shit out of it. Consider that as fooling around...but to the extreme...it has survived my shitty driving attemps at drifting, but one day it will drift. If gas prices wasn't so bad right now, and the brakes were bled, then I would daily drive it the 60 mile commute every day to and from work. So the 32 year old car is a good base. And thats my point.

Granted, the frame rails are rusting out on me, but they can be repaired with a few hours by a good welder. If I wanted to go super hard core into a motorsport, then I would buy one of those mint, rebuilt, frame strengthened Z's I see on Ebay all the time.

Besides...the 280ZX just doen't feel as good as the 260Z does in the corners or just fooling around. Although....power steering would be sweet in an old Z....and I've seen a guy use a subaru rack and pinion...and it swapped right into the Z car frame... :)

Back