s2000 button start.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

it is a good idea to use a relay but not nessesary unless you find that when you push the button nothing happens. this could be because of vd, remember that the start signal to the starter has to pull the solenoid in to close the contacts and engage the pinion then hold it there while you crank, when you crank the voltage can go as low as ten volts and this may not be enough for the hold in winding to stay in.

it is a good idea to use a relay but not nessesary unless you find that when you push the button nothing happens. this could be because of vd, remember that the start signal to the starter has to pull the solenoid in to close the contacts and engage the pinion then hold it there while you crank, when you crank the voltage can go as low as ten volts and this may not be enough for the hold in winding to stay in.

.......and that relay is different from the Starter Relay that ALREADY COMES with the car how????????:huh:
If the mad scientists at Honda thought there would be an issue with voltage drop across a Starter Circuit, I'm sure they would have followed your "wise" words and left out that big, bad bothersome relay.

Ha! I'd like to see you tell a Honda Engineer that makes more than most of us combined that he's wrong.

Last edited:
if you hook up a wire from a push button switch directly to the little wire on the startermotor you are by passing any existing start relays and connecting straight onto the solenoid. you have three options from there.
1. leve it without a relay.
2. put your own start relay in.
3. find the wire that comes out of ignition switch harness that only lights up with a test light when you turn the ignition switch to crank and join the wire from the push button to this wire. that way you will use original start relay in vehicle and the ecu will know when the car is cranking. you could even use the feed for the push button from the brake switch as D17type-r pointed out in his diagram. to prevent accidentaly engaging starter pinion.

Y'know guys.... we could argue forever about the right and wrong way to do it;

.....but there still exists(and I don't know why I didn't thinkof this till now) that:

Even if the push-button setup works super-nifty.... the steering wheel lock is still engaged, so you have to remove that ring or ...still put the key in:huh:

thats true,
if you want to remove the lock (and i dont recomend) you will need a pointy punch and hammer to tap the shear bolt round and round untill they can be moved by hand

thats true,
if you want to remove the lock (and i dont recomend) you will need a pointy punch and hammer to tap the shear bolt round and round untill they can be moved by hand

yeah I dont recamend removing the ignition/steering wheel locking mechanism at all because then it would just be that much easier for a thief to steal your car, and I personally put my push button start in to make it harder to steal.So yeah dont take the locking mechanism off unless you are making like a straight drag car and have it locked up tight.and deranger you are right about the 3 choice and just for everyones info I chose number 3 and even then on my 1st hatch I still used another relay but that was because I the button I had could only be delivering a grounded 12v NEG not a + source.
"1. leve it without a relay.
2. put your own start relay in.
3. find the wire that comes out of ignition switch harness that only lights up with a test light when you turn the ignition switch to crank and join the wire from the push button to this wire."

I had mine hooked up that way you had put the key in and turn it to on(to disengage the steering calumn lock and supply power to everything) and then you had to press the horn and the car would turn over.I know I know your all saying but then doesnt the horn go off when you push the button and the answer is "No Not at all" BUT listen to this if you did not know what you were doing I made it so the horn would still go off and would NOT engage the starter at all, and if u knew the trick only the starter would work.I did that as a anti theft device because 99% of alarms are over rated and dont work unless its installed by someone who knows how to disable a car alarm and there for knows how to make it so it cant be disabled or atleast so it would be too damn hard.I like the button start better you do not waist a few hundred $$$ and its easier especially if ur creative.Once more your all probly thinking I put in a two device toggle switch that way in one position the horn only would work and in the other that only the starter would when the button was pushed and no I did not do that either and if you really want to know what I did to make my set up email me and I will try to help you out.

Last edited:
there are a lot of ways of imobilizing cars all of them can be gotten around, with the right amount of time. all that an immobilizer, whether it be commercial aftermarket ones or sneaky kill switches etc do is increase the time taken to steal a car. i have seen some imobilizers that are poorly constucted and installed and they would actualy reduce the amount of time needed to steal acar by some one who nows what there doin.

there are a lot of ways of imobilizing cars all of them can be gotten around, with the right amount of time. all that an immobilizer, whether it be commercial aftermarket ones or sneaky kill switches etc do is increase the time taken to steal a car. i have seen some imobilizers that are poorly constucted and installed and they would actualy reduce the amount of time needed to steal acar by some one who nows what there doin.

yes I couldnt agree with you more my idea is to make it take them too long or risk too much for my car to be worth the chance of getting caught and going to jail or having a pit rip them new a$$ holes lol.Put I do like how I do the setup because I use as much of the stock wiring that is pretty much just sitting there like the wiring going to the fuse box from the a/c since mine is completely removed that way it takes them that much longer to get past.But I mean you gotta admit that the way I had the push button start set up was cool shit because hell it is push button start and kinda like an alarm in one lol atleast a noise maker to scare thieves off.No one seems to realize that what you say is true that if a car thief wants your stuff bad enough they will get it(If they have the know how and skills) and alarms are really just to make people not wanna try to steal ur car.I chose to install an alarm in my car and not install a led to tell u its on and I leave the doors unlocked and have nothing left in the car that could be easily grabbed.That way they think hey cool shit no alarma and the dumb ass left his doors unlocked and then they open the door and BAM off goes the alarm.

thats kinda of risky but atleast it saves your windows gettin broke by a dumb thief who wants in. my girlfriends car got broken into not so long ago, it was the crappiest car in the street, the theves thought it probly wouldnt have an alarm they were right. i geus if the doors wernt locked they wouldnt have smashed the window, but they deffenantly would of opened it up just because it wasnt locked. ether way if they want in theyl get in.

yeah it is a little risky but I have become a firm believer in in over the past few years because when I had the led and the doors locked I came out one night and had some dumb ass trying to climb under my car to disable my alarm so after that I left the led light in there in plain sight but I just disconnected it so if u looked through my windows it made you think the car had an alarm yet it is not armed so u get cocky and open the door since they are also unlocked.So far the most I have lost is so spare change and I think like 3 recorded cd's and I would prefer that to them knowing the alarm is on and disabling it and stealing my indash dvd player and sub and amp set up.Deranger do u have a yahoo messenger or aol messenger?

no im a kinda new to the net, i no that sounds dumb since the net has been around for yonks, i just never got around to it. i might get a yahoo messenger or aol messenger though, which is better?

no im a kinda new to the net, i no that sounds dumb since the net has been around for yonks, i just never got around to it. i might get a yahoo messenger or aol messenger though, which is better?

well me I prefer yahoo messenger because thats what most my friends have plus I hate how u cant just hit enter to send a message on aol u have to either press tab and then enter or use the mouse to click the send button.So yeah I like messenger better.

godamn such miss info
first: if your gonna go dierctly to the starter use a relay and heavy gage wire, doing it this way is by passinf the factory relay, yes you can use just a switch but what happens on that cold day when your cracking for 30 sec at a time?
seconf if you going to tap in before the factory relay then you will not need a relay, just a fuse, or if you use the cig lighter spot, no fuse will be needed (its already has a 10 or 15 amp in the cir)

godamn such miss info
first: if your gonna go dierctly to the starter use a relay and heavy gage wire, doing it this way is by passinf the factory relay, yes you can use just a switch but what happens on that cold day when your cracking for 30 sec at a time?
seconf if you going to tap in before the factory relay then you will not need a relay, just a fuse, or if you use the cig lighter spot, no fuse will be needed (its already has a 10 or 15 amp in the cir)

I dont go straight to the starter at all never have never will.

I either go through the ignition harness or directly behind the fuse panel.which would be before the relay.

Plus I check and make sure nothing gets hot by turning the car over for around 30-60 seconds

I dont use a switch I have used the horn button,A/C button and the Rear wiper switch before (ok one switch) but dont know the amperage on them but I have never had a problem.

wait I take that back I did a push button start through the A/C button w/o a relay on my friends car and he had to replace his engine and forgot to hook up the plugs to the dizzy and kept trying to start it and blew the A/C fuse but that was it I redid it with a relay just to be safe and no probs since

He would of been fine with just replacing the fuse once I noticed his dizzy was disconnected.

He hit the button for like seriously a sec or two and it fired up no problem at all.

F**K it! Just buy a new Civic with the factory installed remote starter option.

Bout time some car manufacturer got smart and offered it. Even comes with a cool lookin LCD keypad^_^

Back