s21 transmission question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

clanny

I currently have a y1 gearbox with lsd sitting in my garage ready for install onto my b16b. It has been overhauled and is ready to go, but, I have been offered a S21 gearbox with lsd with a broken casing. I know that there are differences in the clutch etc but is the S21 better geared for acceleration? I have tried searching but can't find any specifics for the S21. It came off a JDM del sol with low mileage and I have no idea how to find out what lsd is in there. Any ideas on how to find out?

I'm looking for info on what gearbox housing the internals would fit into (so I can make a complete gearbox) and also if it will accelerate better than my stock (except for the lsd) Y1 box. I guess it won't be all that hard to change from hydraulic to cable clutch if I can get the correct box but as far as I know, it'll only fit into a J1 box and they are rare as gold chickens teeth.

Anyone got any ideas?

Oh, and since I have been trying to search this site for del sol, S21, etc, can anyone help outy with searching for 3 letter words? I have tried transmission/gearbox/tranny etc but didn't come across anything.

Thanks.

The transmission guide in the reference sections has the particulars about gear ratios etc..

I have one on my b16a swap and I can tell you that it is a very close ratio tranny with a very low final drive. 5th gear at 4500 RPM gets you 85 MPH, depending on tire size. It is possible to row through the gears and stay in v-tec range (5800-8200) RPM of my b16

OOPS...Sorry I've got a Y21, I don't know what the f you got. :unsure:

Back