Saab like whoa.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

OK, so we have Subaru, Mitsubishi, Volvo (V50 coming out this fall), and now Saab doing the AWD turbo thing. I'm liking how this is going...

Check out the new 9-2... http://www.saabusa.com/main/US/en/index_flash.xml

What has me :hmm: is their "horizontally opposed" engine... I'm not sure if that's a misprint, but do they mean like Subee? Holy breaking new ground with Saab, if it is the case.

Either way, very cool, nice looking car. I wonder if/ when one of the big three will debut a compact turbo AWD sports car/ wagon... :)

I think maybe Volkswagen would be a contender... then again, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Nice Saab tho. :ph34r:

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Jul 7 2004, 01:07 PM
What has me :hmm: is their "horizontally opposed" engine... I'm not sure if that's a misprint, but do they mean like Subee? Holy breaking new ground with Saab, if it is the case.

It is a Subaru, it is just a slightly rebadged/rebodied WRX.

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer+Jul 7 2004, 01:27 PM-->
Loco Honkey
@Jul 7 2004, 01:07 PM

It is a Subaru, it is just a slightly rebadged/rebodied WRX.

yup, exact same motor and drivetrain as the wrx

My guess is yes - people like the feeling of owning an expensive european version of one of the best sedans on the market. ;)

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Jul 7 2004, 01:29 PM
Well then - I suppose we have a Nissan/Infiniti situation up in here...

i dont think they are the same company like nissan/infinity

NEVER buy a Saab if you intend on doing maintainance on it yourself, they are so over-engineered they could get the pope to swear.

Hmm... if they are, it only furthers my theory that one day soon one man will hold the rights to every automobile design on the planet...

Originally posted by xyswany@Jul 7 2004, 04:44 PM
NEVER buy a Saab if you intend on doing maintainance on it yourself, they are so over-engineered they could get the pope to swear.

I've heard similar things coming from die hard wood chucks about the mysterious evils of fuel injection. Go educate yourself, son, and Saabs won't be so overwhelming.

Never buy a lux car with out a warrenty

then who gives a fuck how hard it's to work on? take it to the dealers and bitch

Originally posted by xyswany@Jul 7 2004, 01:44 PM

Saab's are great cars to work on and bad cars to work on. I learned how to work on cars with Saab's. The problem is that they like to leak a little oil, so they are quite gooey motors to work on. However they are simple enough as to where they were great cars for me to learn how to work on. I have seen some Saab's with 350,000 miles, and even 400,000 miles on the original stock bottom ends.

I've had a chance to closely compare the WRX and the 9-2 Aero... plus I've driven both 9-2 drivetrains on a test track. The 9-2 Aero is basically a WRX except for:

Exterior styling (duh)
Interior styling (duh)
Softer suspension
About an inch more rear suspension travel from shorter bump stops
A tad more toe in on the front end for more understeer

That's it- otherwise it's completely identical to a WRX- it even has a weird looking scoop on the hood that would look better if it were gone.

:hitit:

ext1.jpg

Much more stylish than the WRX.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+Jul 7 2004, 05:51 PM-->
@Jul 7 2004, 04:44 PM

I've heard similar things coming from die hard wood chucks about the mysterious evils of fuel injection. Go educate yourself, son, and Saabs won't be so overwhelming.

How many Saabs have you worked on there Loco?

Originally posted by Prowler@Jul 7 2004, 07:11 PM

Much more stylish than the WRX.

:werd:

I definitely like the styling of the 9-2 better than the WRX.

Back