safc neo vs. gizzmo cam-fc

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

newb

phresh
VIP
Ok so i need some input from ppl who have seen both in action. the apexi unit has some real nice specs, but apexi is the us dealer for gizzmo. they both have fuel and vtec controls. the gizzmo unit has "cam switching" controls, im not fermiliar with that, is that a fancy term for vtec? if some one could dumb down the descritions and functions for me that would be nice. are there any other similar units on the market? suggestions on wut to run are welcome. thanks.

i would suggest not running a piggy back if you are still planning on that B20 Turbo (or was it just a vtec?).

Id plan on running Hondata/CROME/AEM or some other full feautred EMS.

There is a lot of information on whats available for hondas (in the realm of fuel management) on pgmfi.org :: Index

Ur correct my build will be a boosted cr/vtec. I like these units because they are programable without software. If i go with hondata or chrome wont i need a shop for a reflash everytime? I guess wut id really like to know is y do you recomend not using these? thanks again.

fuel controller hacks are unreliable with turbo setups. Not alway's, but I know of many who have switched to crome and neptune and have made more power with smoother powerbands. Plus piece of mind that the engine was tuned properly, unlike the puerto-rican who setup your fuel controller the way he set up HIS in his car ;]

EDIT: no disrespect to the rican's, all my PR friend's do that shit way too much, its not healthy. ;l

Ok so i should go with an ems simply to protect my engine from me? lol, that makes sence, the only reason id like a setup like the apexi tho is because of the memory settings. i can have a "street" setting or a "race" setting and switch freely between the wthout payin for a retune. wut other options do i have here? thanks, one more time.

Well let me put it into perspective.

Youre going to be spending about 6-8k on your engine...and 200 on getting it tuned right. Thats like buying the worlds best home theatre system...and having a 13" TV. What's the point?

The EMS systems (meaning the full programmable systems) allow you (or your tuner) to have full control over both fuel and timing...the piggybacks trick your computer into making it do what you want to do rather than it doing it all on its own. Ill use another simile...thats like driving 10 miles out of your way to have someone get you mcdonalds from the store thats 5 miles from your house.

Edit for your last post:

You can have your tuner run two passes if you use crome. Just have him give you both chips. Pop the cover on your ECU pop in the second chip and go. If you run AEM or hondata, just hook up your laptop, load the new map, and youre off. (im constantly leaving out systems like FAST, MegaSquirt and Neptune because of the lack of tuner support in most areas)

Now ill admit, its not as easy as the piggy back systems...but its a better solution, especially as you get into the higher horsepower ranges.

Last edited:
Perfect, thats the kind of answer i was lookin for. Ok, i dont own a laptop and dont have any ambitions on buying one any time soon (a bit expensive, and i dont want to wait on my build because im tryin to save money for a laptop for my tune), so i like wut you said about crome. keepin in mind i dont have a laptop and desire 2 different performance levels would crome be the best candidate for me? I feel dumb for askin that cuz it seems along the lines of the amature question "how should i build my motor?" i know there are many variables when choosing a chip, but from the info that i have provided, what do you think? thanks again.

If you dont have a laptop, id say crome would be your best all around choice. The only problem with it is having to take the top off the ECU to switch chips. Thats not a big deal...unless you want instant changability.

lol, naw im not that picky. i usually have a good idea of when im gunna be racin or just casually driving. also, i dont plan on havin a night and day difference between the tunes, id just like a street tune to make the car more effecient and more comforatable to drive on street tires and pump gas. changin chips is no big deal, i can always carry the unused chip in my glove box with a screw driver, im not worried about the extra few ounces of weight lol. thanks a lot for clearin that up.

ok so i got one mroe question about chrome software. i was lookin at the site and it has a spot to download it. do i have to burn my own chips or can i go to shop and have em set me up? ive never had to do anything like this before being as i mainly work on ford fe's, which at most had electronic distributors lol.

yes. Crome is a piece of software that burns chips. The software works a lot like most other tuning softwares. Id recommend calling some of the import shops in your area and see if they are willing to chip your ECU and tune with crome. If not, Id recommend checking the list on pgmfi and see what crome tuners are in your area.

alright, sounds good. for a sec i thought it might be a complete DIY setup, which im not about to try on the engine im building, being as i have no experience wut so ever tuning an ecu. thanks again.

yeah...some take it as a DIY job (due to the fact that there is no manufacturer incentive like with hondata). There are a few good tuners out there...only one for crome in the dallas area though.

ok thanks a lot. ill just have to keep my eyes open when im lookin for a tuner. unfortunatley i may have to find another program to run due to lack of good shops around here, its too bad that the ones in my area are more concerned with gettin a little bit of money for a shotty job over gettin paid for a job well done.

Back