1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

safe redline B18A1??

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by Dougcrx, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Dougcrx

Dougcrx Junior Member

What would be a safe redline for an Ls motor that has been built with 11:1 wiseco piston, eagle rods, block guard, stainless valves, springs, retainers, guides, etc.?
    I was talking to crane the other day and they recommended a cam (101-0016) that I feel might be too big. Would I be able to spin an Ls motor up to 8,000 rpm?
    What else could I do to the motor so it could handle those kind of rpms? I don't really what to go long rod. Also I plan on running a large shot of nitrous and the car is a street car. Thanks Doug

2. D See 2

D See 2 Senior Member

at that rpm, balance is crucial. make sure you have faith in your mechanic and have the crank balanced and clearances checked. i would highly reccomend you run WITH the stock crank pulley for the bennefits of the harmonic balancer. other than that, sounds like you've got a pretty decent setup to handle 8000 rpm.

3. NotUrAverage_Si

NotUrAverage_Si Senior Member

Ls motors are like b20's and high revving is not your friend.
    I wouldn't go higher than say 7600rpm, but thats just me or get a shift lite with a 7600rpm pill. if you're motor is built to rev high then just check your motor often make sure theres no knocking.

4. Dougcrx

Dougcrx Junior Member

Thanks for the info. I will stay with a stock crank pulley. Do you think it would stay in balance if I had the power steering and ac grooves taken out?
    Any other suggestions for spinning a Ls to 8,000 safely?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted