Salvage Title

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lukedogk12

ek hatch
My 99 civic hatchback has a salvage title. My dad says I should sell it and get another hatch. He says its really bad and worthless to put money into. The car got rear ended and the hatch broke and the bumper was smashed. So it got salvaged...lame. I love the car and its super clean with low miles, is it worth it to keep and make it my dream car or should I try to find another one?

Salvage is just a stamp on a title, if you know the extent of the damage and you feel that it can be repaired correctly to the point where you won't have problems with it in the future, then go ahead and do what you want.
Salvage means (in most states) that the vehicle has sustained damage beyond 75% of the vehicles total value, but was reaired instead of brought to a junkyard, in other words if you had a vehicle worth 10,000 and it needed 7500 worth of work to get it back to perfect, then it would be totalled, if fixed then it would be considered a salvage vehicle.
The thing about salvaged vehicles is that it can always coem back to bite you if it isn't fixed 100%, that and it is worthless to sell to someone because you have to disclose the fact that it was salvaged.
I wouldn't buy one, but I might put moey into one if it wasn't that bad and could be fixed cheap.

From what I've noticed, hondas value arent affected too much by salvage titles. I see heavily modified hondas on ebay all the time with salvage titles. I had a cadillac with a salvage title which was kinda a nightmare, but that was a cadillac very complicated hard to work on cars. Hondas are simple cheap and easy to work on so if you ever found anything that was affected by the crash then its mostly an easy fix. If it drives straight, I would say keep it, build it up if need be, but I dont think the value is gonna be affected much. Plus, its getting hard to find clean civic hatches, that alone will bring up the value.

The car just had some rear damage so they replaced the hatch and the bumper, nothing major. The car drove straight until I got new axles. It started to torque steer to the right after i got new axles, I had it aligned and it still does it. I called a frame shop and they said if you had it aligned and everything straightened up in the jig then the frame is fine. I had all the bushings and suspension checked and everything is fine, so I think its the motor/trans. I'm swapping next summer so I think the new motor/trans will get rid of the torque steer.

salvage title cars arent worth anything either resale or trade in, but if you intend to keep the car and it's fixed properly the value is you have a nice car.

Sometimes it can be a good thing buying a salvaged car, My brother's EG hatch is a salvage vehicle taht he bought for under 2000, now when i say 2000, I mean this car is mint, you can see some of th spots on the inside of the car where it ws repaired, but the rear quarters were both replaced and there is not 1 spec of rust, which may not seem like alot to some people, but if you live in new york like I do, it is VERY hard to find a rust free honda, especially an EG or older, the only problem that we have with the car is that the reverse lights don't work, never have and probably never will, not that Im not able to fix them it's just who cares.
It really all depends on what you plan to do with the car, like was said above there is really no trade in or retail value for a salvaged vehicle, but private party sales you can make your money back.
The reason you see salvaged cars on ebay all hopped up is to ususally try to offset the fact that the car is salvaged, it was bought for very cheap and then alot of look good parts were thrown on to make the value higher for "just the right person"
Think of it in the aspect of a right hand drive car that was once a left hand car, for example an EG6, you can literally buy a front end wrecked civic from a junkyard or a private sale with a clean or salvage title, and then buy a right hand drive clip, cut it all up and weld it together, all in all you just spent around 4000 to build the car and can probably sell it for 7-8 depending on how good it all looks TO THE RIGHT PERSON, and they wont care if it's salvage or not because everythign is straight and of course it's right hand drive.
I dunno, I guess I'm on the fence about this, there are pros and cons, and like was said above it's a honda, very easy to work on and replace parts. Unlike some cars that will have problems forever or cost a fortune to fix correctly.

I guess another good point could be all of the cars that have been totalled and repaired and no one ever knows about them, some of them will never have any problems, some will be a mess forever.
Think about it like this, a Mercedes dealer buys a car for 60,000, there is a storm and a tree falls on it their insurance company says "it was an act of god, you are not covered", to the dealer (who has a body shop on premesis) it will cost 8000 to fix it, but in reality it would cost a normal consumer 40000, that car should have been salvaged, BUT they just repair it without telling anyone and sell it as a new car for sticker price. They may have lost 8000 fixing the car, but they didn't lose 60,000 by scrapping it. on top of it all they made their money or at least broke even due to the markup anyway

Bottom line: If you're buying a salvage vehicle because of the price break, make sure you know your shit. If you don't, get someone who does to check it out. If your dad is a mechanic and says the car is worthless...maybe you should listen to him. Otherwise, his advice is outdated......and he probably hates honda's or doesn't want his son driving around in something unsafe.

My brother's Trooper was T-boned and "totaled" because the cost to replace the passenger door (the only damage) was more than the value of the car. So, insurance gave him cash for the value (several k's), he bought it back from them for the new salvage value (several hundred), sourced a junk door, and had his Trooper back plus several thousand for mods. Sweet deal if you ask me.

Yeah, the car had the hatch and bumper replaced. The frame, suspension etc, is perfect. Thanks for all your information I appreciate it.

Back