same old question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GTeclipsesporty

Hi,
I am sure you all get this question all the time. First off I am only 15 and a I won't have my license till this time next year. I will only have about 5k from selling my dirtbike and I would like to build a honda hybrid. I was thinking of getting an 92-95 EG civic for cheap then dropping a b-series in myself, preferably a GSR motor, I don't plan to modify it yet because of money issue. First question is, if I find an EG with a good manuel transmission will I still have to put a Y80 in it, or what would be easiest. I was thinking of going through Hondamotorsonline.com because they have good prices, any suggestions. I do have some automotive experience and plan on dropping the new motor in with some chain and a tree. As far as anything else such as wiring trans stuff ect. will I be able to do the rest with a little help from my father, who is very mechanically inclined. Anything else I need to know like legal stuff (I live in Maine) Oh yeah will I have enough money?
Thanks for help,
Rob

My first hatch cost me $800 my swap cost me $1100 for the complete swap minus ECU. Then about 1-1.5 k for the turbo set up.

My hatch now, cost me $800 and am still waiting for the swap.

I think you'd be plenty happy at 16 with an LS swapped EG. To be honest with you, I think you should stick with the D-series for a little while, learn to drive well then go for the swap.

With 5k, if you get the car cheap enough, you can have enough for a nice set-up. b16's or LS's are good inexpensive engines and are direct bolt in to 92-95 civics. They're both good starting points for someone on a budget....like most of us on here.

depending on what you spend on the shell

i did my gsr swap in my hatch (including a new clutch, exhaust, lightened flywheel, rims and tires) for about 5-6k

but i bought my car real cheap and bargain hunted for EVERYTHING

and for the record, for a stock motor swap, the gsr hatch is pretty fun :)

A gsr is defenitly fun, but more out of the pocket with everything. I just came across bargains, I had like a grand bought the car...magically came upon about 16 grand and deals just rolled in, I mean I paid very little for everything obviously, I knew what I wanted from the start and wasn't going to change it even with the money I came upon.

Don't ask how I got the money or where it went...it's not important and no you can't have any of it, it was gone in a week anyway.

oh yeah, it's def. not the least expensive way to go into things

but just like you, i knew exactly what I wanted going into this car and I made sure that every part was exactly what I was looking for

and the result of doing that is a car that is perfect for me

Back