San Diego is on fire.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

how can you die in a forest fire? i mean really , ok maybe smoke inhalation, but in a car? drive away from the flames, or if its in your car why dont you just open the door and get out? how fast is a flame really?

I'm not entirely clear on that part either, but you have to remember how big these fires are... They could have been surrounded by it for thousands of feet before they realized they were in any serious danger. No where to go in all directions... Dunno, just a theory.

how can you die in a forest fire?

the Santa Ana wInds fan these fires and they get so large they actually create their own winds!! It is easy to be safe one minute and a porkchop the next. If the wind shifts towards you, you're screwed....period

And all employers were encouraged to keep their workers at home.

My employer has an office in Poway and the office was closed yesterday but open today :)wtf2:) talked to some folks that said they had to have masks on to be able to breath due to the thick smoke IN THE BUILDING!!!

been watching the Cali news on the satellite. one of the tv crews just lost their van! one of the firefighters took the camera man and the reporter, and threw them into his truck! when they got back to camp one of the other tv crews reporter had her hair singed! they showed a video of one of the fire trucks and the logo on the side was bubbled, and melted from the heat!n crazy stuff! hope you'all are doing fine.

Originally posted by ahedau@Oct 28 2003, 06:55 PM
how can you die in a forest fire?

the Santa Ana wInds fan these fires and they get so large they actually create their own winds!! It is easy to be safe one minute and a porkchop the next. If the wind shifts towards you, you're screwed....period

And all employers were encouraged to keep their workers at home.

My employer has an office in Poway and the office was closed yesterday but open today :)wtf2:) talked to some folks that said they had to have masks on to be able to breath due to the thick smoke IN THE BUILDING!!!

Then you have those idiots like tornado storm chasers, who wait until it's up on them to haul ass. Those people could have been watching the fire and boom it was on em. I'm not a forrest ranger or anything so I don't know for sure but once the fires get outta control I've always thought that they could spread pretty fast, especially in a dry area. Who knows.

Back