satillite radio

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SolPWR

is XM or sirius worth it? im thinking about getting it cause im sick of my cd player and have that digital cable channels with that mucis shit and i kinda like it. But i want to know if this is worth it. do they play good music like new stuff u hear on normal stations or is it always that shit u never heard of.

I have had XM for about a year and a half and it is diffenitly worth it! I travel alot for work, so you don't have to worry about radio stations cutting out. They is a wide varity of music, some do play stuff you never heard of and some play new stuff that you here on the radio.
I give it 2 thumbs up!!

I waited for Sirius, and I'm glad I did its much better then XM no commercials on the music channels whatso ever.. XM only half of the 60 are commercial free. I heard XM it came out first but Iknew Sirius was going t obe better programing.

Good luck with which ever you choose.

Defenetly SIRIUS is the best option... It has the best sound quality, and there not many comercials...
XM is allready having problems with their satelites... SIRIUS has more talk shows and entretaining channels, and also a variety of music channels...
The SIRIUS Kenwood PnP reciever is out already, you might want to take a look. Or any Kenwood dash radio recivers would have SIRIUS feature available..

I prefer XM over Sirius. The music choices on XM are much better, IMO. XM has a much better comedy channel also, which is really nice for long trips.

I have Sirius in both my ride, and my wife's truck. We havn't had it that long, but so far really like it. The best part is it is tottaly commercial free. One other thing I like about it is that if you have a high speed internet connection you can listen to the music screams live from their web site on your PC is you are a member.

Right now they are offering a really good deal at Circuit City. If you buy the antenna they will give you a free tuner module. Basicly if you have a recent Kenwood, or Panasonic head unit and buy the $50 antenna they will give you the rest to get you started.

-TFO

I have XM, but I don't think it's a good investment, as satellite radio doesn't have the subscriber base to keep itself in business... that said, make sure you don't get a deck mainly based upon its satellite radio features...

I think it's stupid. My head unit supports Sirius, but I'm never going to use it. I'm really picky about what I listen to. I don't listen to the radio to hear new stuff. I listen to music that I like. I can always go online and find new artists.

I have Sirius, and it's a good service and a good company. Sirius worked with me, technically, when it came to diagnosing reception issues in my area. They even called up their special Panasonic hardware vendor support line with me on the phone to go over hardware issues (Which it turned out to be)

Sirius buys a lot of third party streams. Streams like the Vortex - Which is a stream you can get on winamp for free. So whatever ads the Streams may carry make it to your ears.

The cost was ok - Sirius gave me 4 months for free.

I'm using a Panasonic CR-SRT100 antenna amp box (That actually gets hot when it can't find a satellite) into a Panasonic head. The tree cover in my area (Tree tunnels in New England block the signal quite well) is the biggest problem.

I am using the Terk / Sirius low-profile antenna that was on display at SEMA this year. In my Civic hatch with no sunroof the signal strength is incredible. All in all, worth it especially if you travel.

There aren't great techno stations. Lots of house and dance, but no real techno (Orbital, BT, Chicane, Prodigy) and there is no good trip-hop (Hooverphonic, portishead, Si*Se).

Tons of Spanish channels. 3 childrens channels. Lots of really good news / weather / opinion channels.

A gay channel, which must come from the satellite of butt-love or something.

a huge country and rock section, and two really good 60's/70's underground stuff (Procol Harum, Cream, Rainbow, Blue Cheer) And a sports section that I have never listened to.

Oh, and 3 religious channels. Like I don't get enough god on the radio in the plains states.

All in all, a great travel companion, more worth it than EZPass... But I have an MP3 / WMA player too, which is like listening to a stream of YOUR favorites for 11 hours per disc. And after a while, I now have 7 discs full of my MP3 collection. So while it's nice, I'm not attached at the hip.

-> Steve

ill have to specify a no-go for XM. out in my area (i get excellent cell phone coverage) i experience some service blackouts. i had that junk for 3 months, cancelled, and got a refund on the antenna and reciever. i hardly listen to the radio anyway.

Back