sc50 or sc61?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ek_jeremy

i'm looking to boost in the near future, but stuck on turbo sizes. this will be going onto a built 84.5mm gsr block. i want to make around 235 on really low or stock boost, but want to have a blast on the freeway. what should i settle for, the sc61 or sc50? how are the spool times btw the 2 on the same motor? i don't want nothing that will spin my tires end of a gear....thanks guys

there's no such thing as 'stock boost' on a honda.. cuz well, none are boosted.

235 whp is a "pathetic" goal for either of these turbos. the sc50 is good for 400, the sc61 for 550+

sc34 has you're name written all over it if you want to go with precision.

i agree with ^^^

but why the hell would you set a goal of 235 pussy ass horsepower on a built 84.5mm block??? if this is a streetcar, shoot for 350ish.

sounds like he read my article and is asking what turbo is going to make more power.

He wants to boost 5 PSI on low, then 10+ on high and make 300 WHP+ is what I am seeing.

easy, choose the larger one.

Jeff

Sounds like you are going a little overkill for 235 whp. That could probably be done NA, with the bore you are going with. But to answer your question. Maybe a Garrett t3/t04e or something would be better. I think they are smaller than the other two you are looking for, and would give you a better spoolup. Or just go with a bigger turbo, and a really good tubular manifold, like prorace, and that will also decrease your spool time.

yes... but both the sc61 and sc50 are t3/t04e turbos, its the trim levels that are different. the thing is, neither of them is even close to running efficient at the psi level needed to make 230hp on that motor.

if you really want to make 235hp, get a striaght t3 super 60. you will have a much better power band running that turbo at 8psi as opposed to running an sc61 @ 4psi. and your motor will not blow because you are running a few more psi on a smaller turbo despite what some people will tell you.

but like i said originally why set such low goals?

Sorry, I am not too familiar with the different names and notations of the different turbos and the trim levels. Like ndogg said, set your goals a little higher, or just go with a smaller turbo.

my goals are set high....but i want to make big power at low boost levels...i don't plan on making 500whp....

we made 250+ at 5 PSI a bunch of times. Thats a good motor.

get a big turbo, a big downpipe, and a big intake manifold like a JG.

Also, you need a tubular manifold, thats key too.

T70 turbo: $475
Manifold, tubular: $250
Wastegate: $175
Intercooler: $550
Blow off valve: $150
Intake manifold $360
piping, downpipe, etc: $200.

And you got a monster.

Jeff

Originally posted by ek_jeremy@May 18 2004, 01:54 AM
my goals are set high....but i want to make big power at low boost levels...i don't plan on making 500whp....

why do you care if you are running "low boost"? if you have 235hp, you have 235hp... so who cares? the smaller turbo will also give you a better power band. with a huge turbo running 5psi, you are not running the turbo in its effeciecy range and you will have lots of lag. if you just want to say "d00d i'm running 235hp on like 3psi" to your friends, then get the HUGE ASS turbo... if you want your car to be a fast and effecient streetcar, then get the proper sized turbo for your goals.

i'm sorry, but running a T70, boosting 5 psi, and having a goal of 235 whp is quite possibly the most retarded thing i've ever heard.

yeah, he should boost 10 PSI amd make 340 with it. A scramble mode would be great.
5 PSI at 240 or so and 10 PSI at 340 or so.

That would be way better.

Jeff

Back