Scary noise at 3.5K

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

VizualXTC

My cuzin has a 92 Civic CX with a D15 engine. At around 3500RPM it makes a horrible rattling sound. I'm not certain it's 3500 because I have only listened to it under the hood, but it sounds like about 3500. Anyway it comes on and then goes off really quick, prolly within about a 250-300RPM band. Has anyone encountered this problem? If not, with the limited information I provided, could anyone provide a guess? I'm stumped.

Heat shields maybe? Check around the catalytic converter... or check the heat shield around the exhaust manifold.

I will have to listen to it again. It sounds like from the engine. We had someone suggest the fly wheel, but I don't think it's that. It almost sounds like something is loose inside the block. Could be the heat sheild, but I would prolly have noticed that right away. Thanks, if you come up with anything else, let me know.

I had something similar on my car after my swap. It was in a cheap pre-muffler that a shop had installed. Just by coincidence, it rattled like a bitch at 2000 or so rpms after the swap. Later, the guy cut open my pipe, zappity zap, welded the pipe back together, done. Probably not it, but it could be.

I had the same problem with my heat shield next to my exhaust pipe, can you feel it rattling under you? If you can then it is almost likely the heat shield. To be sure just lift it on a jack and see if it is loose or hangin' down.

Back